2019 Tahoe Towing Guidance

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
baare657,
I suggest you go here and read this very informative article about towing trailers. Click here: Towing, Payload, & GCVWR: What's It All Mean? | Top Speed

Here is a quote from the article:
"The first thing to understand is truckmakers publish the absolute maximum a truck can pull when its equipped just so with the correct powertrain options, suspension setups, and towing packages. Drop by a local dealership and pick a random truck off the lot and it’s highly likely it won’t be equipped to handle the advertised trailer weight.

What’s more, even with a truck that’s actually equipped with all the right gear for maximum towing, there are still aftermarket parts like weight-distribution hitches and anti-sway bars needed to properly – and safely – handle heavy loads.

Take for example, Ram’s latest claim that its 3500-series truck can pull 31,210 pounds. You’ll need to look at the fine print to see that tow rating is only for a bed-mounted fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch and requires the dual-rear-wheel package, a 4.10 axle ratio, and the high-output version of the Cummins inline-six turbodiesel mated to the Aisin automatic transmission. Picky picky

But that’s only the beginning. There’s a heap of other things to consider before dropping a trailer onto your truck’s ball or loading cargo into its bed."

I hope this helps you make the right decision for your needs. PLEASE don't take the opinion of people on the internet as gospel. There is a lot of misinformation floating around that could cause you great harm or cost you a great deal of money to correct after the fact. Do your homework and make sure your truck has the equipment necessary to pull the size trailer you intend to buy including all the extra stuff you intend to carry with you. Good luck!

I'm back folks, and I've been successfully (and safely) RVing for over a year now. I wanted all of you to know I took your advice to heart.
We purchased the RV in April last year (just before the market went crazy).
Coachmen Apex Nano 208BHS

First thing I did was upgrate the tires on the RV to Goodyear Endurance, then just some minor things (elecric jack, digital thermostat). I added a Weight Distribution hitch at the time of purchase.

On paper, everything was well within spec (towing with tahoe). To be safe, I weighed the entire setup completely empty/dry. My numbers were within 2%. We added clothes, sheets, food and family, weighed again, still well within specs and capacities. For a couple months, we kept trips within ~100 miles and no mountains.
Lots of fun and no problems towing.

Tahoe's become a hot comodity, so we were able to upgrade to a 2020 F350 diesel. Then we started spreading out. Florida, SC, lots of weekend trips in NC. We are able to swap between a camping vehicle (forests, parks, mountains) and mobile hotel room (Beach, Disney).

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and knoweldge.

If anyone found this while in a similar situation, I would summerize:
  • Do the math to figure out where you are: In an earlier post, I attached my spreadsheet where I added all my specs. You can use it too, for free!
  • Do not exceed your tow vehicle specs: its not just how much the engine can pull. Consider your breaks, suspension, wheelbase, transmission, etc. Companies spend alot of time and money to understand their specifications and limits. Don't exceed it, triple check your calculations.
  • Be patient: Don't go into debt. Remember what Heinlen said ('Time Enough For love', Intermission, Excerpts from the notebooks of Lazarus Long)
  • Learn about RVs: Structural, electrical and mechanical systems. They are not too complex and fairly easy to repair on your own.
If you can do this right, its worth every penny. My family has had tons of fun, and we have been planning trips ~8 months to a year in advance.

Hope to see some of you out and about.

I'm back folks, and I've been successfully (and safely) RVing for over a year now. I wanted all of you to know I took your advice to heart.
We purchased the RV in April last year (just before the market went crazy).
Coachmen Apex Nano 208BHS

First thing I did was upgrate the tires on the RV to Goodyear Endurance, then just some minor things (elecric jack, digital thermostat). I added a Weight Distribution hitch at the time of purchase.

On paper, everything was well within spec (towing with tahoe). To be safe, I weighed the entire setup completely empty/dry. My numbers were within 2%. We added clothes, sheets, food and family, weighed again, still well within specs and capacities. For a couple months, we kept trips within ~100 miles and no mountains.
Lots of fun and no problems towing.

Tahoe's become a hot comodity, so we were able to upgrade to a 2020 F350 diesel. Then we started spreading out. Florida, SC, lots of weekend trips in NC. We are able to swap between a camping vehicle (forests, parks, mountains) and mobile hotel room (Beach, Disney).

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and knoweldge.

If anyone found this while in a similar situation, I would summerize:
  • Do the math to figure out where you are: In an earlier post, I attached my spreadsheet where I added all my specs. You can use it too, for free!
  • Do not exceed your tow vehicle specs: its not just how much the engine can pull. Consider your breaks, suspension, wheelbase, transmission, etc. Companies spend alot of time and money to understand their specifications and limits. Don't exceed it, triple check your calculations.
  • Be patient: Don't go into debt. Remember what Heinlen said ('Time Enough For love', Intermission, Excerpts from the notebooks of Lazarus Long)
  • Learn about RVs: Structural, electrical and mechanical systems. They are not too complex and fairly easy to repair on your own.
If you can do this right, its worth every penny. My family has had tons of fun, and we have been planning trips ~8 months to a year in advance.

Hope to see some of you out and about.
I only skimmed your earlier posts. Did you also check that you're within your GVWR/payload capacity or just your GCWR/towing capacity?

I only skimmed your earlier posts. Did you also check that you're within your GVWR/payload capacity or just your GCWR/towing capacity?
Three specifications I used:
GCWR : Towing Capacity - capacity of combined vehicle and trailor
GVWR : Vehicle Capacity - capacity of all weight on the vehicle itself (including the tongue weight)
RGAWR : Rear Axel - Capacity of weight on the rear axel (including the tongue weight)

Has anybody towed a 2013 cougar with a 2017 Tahoe is it possible I’m got the trailer in the picture

Attachments

• 5E281987-BAD3-4E6D-BB9E-758F36107650.png
    5E281987-BAD3-4E6D-BB9E-758F36107650.png
    7.3 MB · Views: 7

Latest resources

Back