Question 2024 Dutchstar fuel economy

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
kevin,
I have often wondered and come to the conclusion that fuel burn for the generator is not included in the MPG registered on the dash. Do you concur?
No, the dash MPG is only based on fuel thru the engine. You can either go by the dash MPG, or you can do tank to tank vs traveled miles and guestimate generator and oasis consumption based on operated hours and published approximate consumption rates.

kevin,
I have often wondered and come to the conclusion that fuel burn for the generator is not included in the MPG registered on the dash. Do you concur?
Yes I do!!!

No, the dash MPG is only based on fuel thru the engine. You can either go by the dash MPG, or you can do tank to tank vs traveled miles and guestimate generator and oasis consumption based on operated hours and published approximate consumption rates.
This! I really had not concerned myself with in my answer. However that also, makes a very large case for using the computers display for fuel mileage, as generator use and oasis heating would skew MPG numbers caused by using fuel fill calculations.

That said the two calculations could be used to determine house energy usage!!!

Fuel economy is a nice to have number. When an application starts to vary from average with no obvious change in use, it might be that something needs attention.
Using more fuel for the same work is not a “good thing”.
This is the primary reason I follow fuel economy closely. When fuel economy starts to trend down something is wrong.

I don't know how much "space" foam displaces but IMHO if you want to get an accurate mileage assessment, you should slow fill to full avoiding foam, drive a route that's near level and get the fuel level as low as you can stand, then slow fill again to avoid the foam, then measure your result. I think we all know it's something around 7 for these beasts, beyond that I stop counting or worrying. The biggest thing is trusting your fuel gauge. This last leg home I had to put that trust to work and arrive at the fuel station in "ding" mode (low fuel alerts) and even still, I had 20 gals (out of 100) remaining after a slow fill. Mine calibrated/checked good. I did have to have a sending unit (or something along that line) replaced about two years ago from the fuel gauge going wonky on me.
Not exactly apples to apples,but my prior coach with the isx,started brand new around 6.7 mpg average,by the time it was broke in,and at 45k miles,the tripometer b that had never been reset,actually moved to 6.8 mpg,and by that time checking each tank of fuel,I was averaging about 7 mpg….by far the biggest factors I’ve noticed….how heavy is your right foot,and even more of a factor wind…ive found a sidewind hurts mileage much more than a headwind…and of course hilly terrain…..if my computer said I had used x amount of gallons,assuming little generator,oasis run time…..it was accurate within 1-2%…unbelievably accurate,often exact in fact…..

Hi Joe! If I reset my mileage meter when I start out, and I drive for 5-6 hours (in Florida), I'll finally get to where the meter is showing 7. So I would say you're probably getting pretty good mileage. :)
I hope you folks aren't depending on the display mpg. These are seldom accurate and usually show more mpg than what is real. Hand calculations are the only way to get your true mpg.

I hope you folks aren't depending on the display mpg. These are seldom accurate and usually show more mpg than what is real. Hand calculations are the only way to get your true mpg.
Well crap, there went any hope I had, however delusional, for breaking the big 7.

I do my own calculations so I can apply a calculation curve so I feel better. :geek:

I fully expect this from any four wheel vehicle sold by pretty much anyone. They lie and despite the fact they could be made to read true, they don't, lack of accountability does a lot in empowering auto manufacturers to constantly lie to their customers. I expect more from a company like Freightliner, their customer base is only shopping for one thing, not like the masses that could be cross shopping a Civic and a light duty "Super Duty" truck.

Over the years my display has consistently read right at 5% high on mpg reading. When it says I got 7.4 in actuality I got right at 7.

Latest resources

Back