• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question 2024 Dutchstar fuel economy

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
The only number I watch, and think important is the DTE, I travel in the mountains most the time, out west mileage is good before noon, then the winds pick up, everyday is different, it seems accurate enough for me, I always make it to the next stop, if I was that worried about MPG, I wouldn't be driving a DSDP, It's no worse than my F-450 pulling a 40' fifth wheel, guess I figure it comes with the territory

I ignore what the LBCU tells me and just calculate it. I don’t account for the gen and oasis either because in the long run its all mpg, but at least my way I have some control over how things are figgered.

I use 7 as a rule of thumb for calcs. In fact I divide my tank readings into miles. I have a 100 gal tank, that means 1/2 tank gives me 50x7 miles left. I start reaching for the brown paper bag at 1/4 tank, typically avoid getting to this point unless I know I have options such as the last leg of my last trip which went down to 20% remaining. So again, 1/4 tank, for me, means 150 miles until kaput. The low fuel warning dinging is so annoying you don't want to be in that below 1/4 zone. If you think you're going to calculate any distances based on 6.8 or 7.4 and rely on that, good luck, waiting for your story :)

Stuck in traffic with 1/4 tank😬

IMG_0928.jpeg

I'm in the school of not really thinking about my mpg. Whether I get 6.8, 7.2, or xx doesn't make much difference. I'm not changing my driving habits to get .01 mpg more or less. We all knew or should have known when we bought these beasts they are fuel hogs. I am towing a GMC Canyon p/u and I guess I could have chosen to tow some micro vehicle but I'm willing to pay the piper for the comfort of my truck. How many of you have been asked, "Is it cheaper to travel in your motorhome than flying and staying in hotels"? I usually stop them before they even finish with my answer, "There is nothing cheap about traveling in a motorhome".

We're leaving this morning for 4 days staying at various Harvest Hosts locations in the Texas Hill Country Winery areas. Whether I get 5mpg or 15mpg, we're still going.

I truly dread the day I have to hang up the keys so as long as I have my health and a few dollars in the bank, I'm going to enjoy what I believe is the greatest lifestyle there is.

I hope you folks aren't depending on the display mpg. These are seldom accurate and usually show more mpg than what is real. Hand calculations are the only way to get your true mpg.
Couple things here! It has been proven some economy car manufacturers mess with odometer so they can claim higher than real MPG! That said, In my previous post I included GPS in my argument. It is very important when calculating MPG that you calibrate your speedo!!! This can be done professionally, or comparing speedo numbers vs. GPS mile numbers. Keep in mind that tire wear will also change odometer readings.

For fuel injection controls accurate fuel numbers must be logged. Yes the O2 sensors and MAP/MAF sensors are always monitored as the biggest control values. However the computer also has many sensors it uses to adjust mixture for optimum performance, including odometer. It does this not only to keep your engine running right, but also to flag issues with the system for timely service.

The display of MPG is a reflection of this data, unmanipulated, and displayed.

Like mentioned in when do you add oil, no one can judge a perfect fill, and may be off by several gallons. No one I know today top of their tank to the top of filler port, so they can get a accurate reading. The flow sensors are much more accurate, so I trust them more for accuracy.

This is of course, is moot in the grand scheme of things. If MPG is going to break your bank, I must ask why you have an RV???

Our DS4369 was similar; High 6 to Mid 7's.

A few factors I've found that make a difference...aside from a 40mph tailwind LOL, are:

1. Driving 65 or under (HUGE difference; up to 20% on our 45')
2. Using PS DIESEL KLEEN (small difference...not convinced how much, but sure makes the starting easier)
3. PDI Tuner (maybe a slight bump of .5mpg)

Latest resources

Back