Cornerstone
RV Length
Chassis
FL
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler
For the second time in a row my drivers side fuel filler cap would not come off easy, finals I had to lean into the cap while rotating counter clockwise to remove it. Any comments or suggestions welcome please

spray it with a dry film lube? Or even WD40? I have to do this to the batteries in my Stihl elec yard tools. Makes a huge difference. Otherwise they seem almost impossible to remove.

I had the same issue. It got to the point that I gave up on it and purchased a new cap, refueling from the passenger side while waiting for the new cap to arrive. I was going to dismantle the old one in place, but had visions of fuel cap pieces dropping into the tank so I decided to just take it to Freightliner and let them deal with it. They put this young wiry tech on it and he nearly turned himself inside out trying to remove it. But he succeeded and the replacement has worked like a charm.

I had the same issue. It got to the point that I gave up on it and purchased a new cap, refueling from the passenger side while waiting for the new cap to arrive. I was going to dismantle the old one in place, but had visions of fuel cap pieces dropping into the tank so I decided to just take it to Freightliner and let them deal with it. They put this young wiry tech on it and he nearly turned himself inside out trying to remove it. But he succeeded and the replacement has worked like a charm.
It slips in the counterclockwise direction unless I push in to it while turning to open

Where did you purchase, do you have the part # handy please

So here’s some food for thought, I just took a close look at mine and found that Newmar put the caulking to high on the filler neck and also must have stuck a rag in the filler neck and actually painted the sealing surface of the neck where the cap seal contacts it. If you look at my picture you can see we’re I have scraped away some of the paint. What the picture can’t pickup is the metallic finish in the first couple of inches of the neck
I believe that heat and diesel fuel makes the paint somewhat sticky

Attachments

• IMG_2367.jpeg
    IMG_2367.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
After reading posts on this topic I had the Tech at Newmar CPU check filler neck for overspray and other contaminants.

Paint Overspray was present so had him remove overspray and polish the filler neck.

Hopefully this eliminates the fuel cap sticking issue. So far so good.

Mine too. Seems a little strange they try their damnedest for a flush mount without leaving any lip protruding. The only thing I could figure is they are trying to ensure there is still room for the filler cap with the fuel fill door closed. Unfortunately it makes installing these interesting as there is no filler neck lip to put this around. Had to use a hot glue gun; waiting to see how long it sticks / stays in place for.

Amazon product ASIN B08FF1P7MH
Best,
-Mark

Mine too. Seems a little strange they try their damnedest for a flush mount without leaving any lip protruding. The only thing I could figure is they are trying to ensure there is still room for the filler cap with the fuel fill door closed. Unfortunately it makes installing these interesting as there is no filler neck lip to put this around. Had to use a hot glue gun; waiting to see how long it sticks / stays in place for.

Amazon product ASIN B08FF1P7MH
Best,
-Mark
I tried one of these for a couple of months before I threw it in the trash at the T/A. It was more hassle than than it was worth. when I would have any spillage, I spent less time cleaning it up from the side of the coach than I did trying to get that clean and rolled back up, and would still have to clean the side of the coach because the wind always caught it and slapped it and the spillage it had on it, all over the side of the coach. (seems like most of the time when I fuel up there is a 20 mph wind blowing parallel to the truck lanes).

Latest resources

Back