• Commercial/Vendors welcome

3D Printing and RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal, obviously you have too much time on your hands!
What is OctoPrint all about? Are you trying to spend more of my money?

Sorry, not sorry :) Well, I'm new to the land of OctoPrint (which uses OctoPi) and I'm sure there is a lot out there on youtube, interwebs, etc. But in the basics that I know thus far is a raspberry pi connects to the prusa printer via the USB port. You can add a camera to your raspberry pi as I have done. With OctoPrint you can view your print and start/stop your printer from anywhere (using an add-in I haven't configured yet). But I can connect to OctoPrint on my local WiFi network in my web browser and from that I can upload prints and start/stop them without touching the printer or even being near it, i.e. if it was in your basement or attic and you were in an office in another area. You can use the camera to monitor the print so you don't waste filament if things go haywire and you're creating a cat toy. And of course you can watch timelapses and also use other add-ins to detect a print gone bad and it will notify you. It's fun, it adds to the 3D printing experience. Welcome to your new OctoPrint setup :) It is very easy.

I'm not smart on this and used the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ setup. There are instructions for a newer Zero W but I don't read good things about it. I watched a YT video last night on the newer Raspberry Pi 4. So do your research or use the proven which I linked above.

Sincerely,

Visa

By the way I use an amazon smart plug with my Alexa setup so I can turn the printer/pi on/off through Alexa.

It played using YouTube for me ?

@Neal You're costing me money. I've resisted 3D printing for a long time. I'm getting the bug again. Coming from an engineering background and designing parts, pieces and trinkets, 3D printing has been a desire of mine since they first became retailed. But at the introductory prices of $3,000-6,000 there was no way. So I back burnered it. Now, you've got me going again. Thanks?!?

Question...on the sample piece you've just recently printed, is the entire finished piece a solid mass of plastic? Or is it webbed and lightened inside the rectangle and even inside the columns? If they are hollowed, is that a function of the print conversion, or does the designer need to create the void on the CAD?

Question...on the sample piece you've just recently printed, is the entire finished piece a solid mass of plastic? Or is it webbed and lightened inside the rectangle and even inside the columns? If they are hollowed, is that a function of the print conversion, or does the designer need to create the void on the CAD?

When you "slice" your design which is task the CAD file (.STL) and use a slicer software you specify all kinds of features of the print, one is INFILL. In this example fun print I set a 5% (lowest) infill so as not to waste plastic and reduce print time. You'll set this based on your designs and there are articles out there on infill recommendations for strength. You can also specify the pattern for infill from rectilinear, grid, honeycomb, on and on. Very powerful capability.

Welcome to the addiction :) My degree was Mechanical Engineering which I never used. Now I'm enjoying the CAD work, putting creative ideas to functional use.

Here are two sites with tons of things you can download and print. Just like the Apple motto was "there's an app for that" there is likely a design for that already done.

Many more, but have fun making your own.

I never have to use the hairspray...use isopropyl alcohol every few prints to clean the surface. The most amazing thing to me about 3D printing is the accuracy...I can tweak the design of two pieces that mesh together by .001" and notice the difference.

I tried a print with the smooth sheet and no adhesive additive (hairspray) and printed this little fun project, a prusa sheet holder and it worked great. Interesting...I've always used hairspray to help adhesion. I think with something like ABS or PETG which is more prone to warping I will still use the adhesive but for PLA it worked great. Thanks for the tip. Print this for fun:

@Neal thanks for the sheet holder link. It’s printing as I type this. I haven’t done much with adding lettering to my prints. I like the way this looks...time to play with adding some text.

i added some storage trays to my frame that are handy...

Latest resources

Back