Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I was at a State Park one summer not long ago when a fellow Newmar Ventana owner showed me something he made out of a block of wood that he inserted into the gen compartment latch release pull handle in the left front compartment that holds the handle out as often we pull the handle and the gen compartment door doesn't spring out and unlock. I thought that was a cool idea so I texted a picture to @Chuggs and low and behold Charlie had an even better idea and sent me one of his brilliant designs:

From here I knew I had to check this 3D printing thing out. I had heard about it for years but thought it must be some business thing as it sounds really expensive and not something a home user would do. I was wrong, at least not in 2018 which I think is when I got into 3D printing. RVing is begging for 3D printing as there is so much to create for storage, hooks, containers, mounts, brackets, the list goes on and on and on. My college degree was in Mechanical Engineering where CAD was a part of it so I figured why not humiliate myself in proving that I don't remember anything from way back then in the black & white era.

3D printing is the simple part, it's essentially a contraption that's like a sewing machine that heats up and melts 1.75mm plastic line from a spool and builds up layer by layer on a heated platform. The layers build up the shape until complete. Software programs take your design and convert it into the format for 3D printers. The hardest part is the design work and there are basic programs to do the job to full on CAD/CAM software just like is used to design the parts for cars, planes, everything.

I started with Tinkercad as it seemed very easy and has tutorials. I knew I wanted to take it to the next level so I then moved on to a program called AutoDesk Fusion 360 which is FREE to home users and business startups. Lots of great YouTube videos to get you started and of course a forum community to get help. Little by little you'll learn, export your design to a .STL file, that .STL file goes into a program such as PrusaSlicer which converts it to a gcode file that the 3D printer uses for its instructions to lay down the plastic.

3D filament comes in various types depending on the use. Also many colors available. Filaments and anything 3D printing is available on Amazon.

I have two 3D printers, the one I highly recommend is the Prusa i3 MK3 and I take it along with me in the RV and print should I need or just want to play.

It has been a lot of fun and it's a great little hobby not to only create something useful but also to just get your mind off of things. I have an Amazon Echo Show 5 I have under mounted below the bedroom TV and I designed a mount which has become very popular on Thingiverse with over 1500 downloads now and growing around 100 downloads a day.

I've printed a ton of things, some are my designs, some are other designs as you can download things from various sites such as Thingiverse. Some of my favorite or most useful things are:
  • @Chuggs generator pull handle block
  • Containers for my pantry sliders to allow storage to the full height of the drawer above
  • Echo Show 5 mount for bedroom
  • Hooks for coffee mugs over dish storage area
  • Organizer for my desk that holds remotes, AirPods, Gum, Pens, Flashlight
  • Mounts for SeeLevel, Sani-con, and Drainmaster controls
  • Candy Jars for Lifesavers
  • Wet bay port cover that covers around the sani-con hose
  • New bezel for my dash radio
  • Water filter support block
  • More at NealC's Thingiverse Profile
You can get into 3D printing at relatively low cost as 3D printers range from under $100 to very expensive. Give it a try! It's fun and very useful in the RV life.

Great write up. The Echo show holder is a great idea. Some guy on the internet borrowed the design and is selling on eBay. 4D557E3C-EF40-43E1-970D-997BB9A190E3.jpeg

Wow, I see that is the case. Amazing!

Dang! You guys are talented!(y)
I have trouble coloring & staying in the lines!?

Finger painting... Blank paper.... Piece of cake... ;-)

I've been chasing down these goons that stole my work and are selling on eBay. I actually considered having this mass produced and sell on Amazon but I don't have the know how or time right now.

eBay did tell me that anyone that bought one from an eBay seller will be subject to washing and waxing my RV :p

@Neal Reading your many posts is very interesting...however, you've been known to get some of us into areas we don't belong. As a direct result of this thread, I'm about to jump into 3D printing. I've installed Fusion 360, watched hours of videos, ordered a reference book and am starting to feel confident enough with Fusion 360 to take the next step...the Prusa i3 MK3. My inclination is to buy the kit and build it vs the assembled model.

Questions: Are you still happy with the Prusa i3 MK3? Did you buy the kit or assembled unit...would you do it again? Any other current advice?

Thanks!

Haha, I know how to hide, don't you worry! I absolutely love and swear by the Prusa i3 MK3 (S is now the latest). The MMU2S I added and it's been extremely frustrating, I would avoid that for now. Assembled vs. not. Assembling it will teach you much more about it as you WILL have to disassemble something and fix things, clear clogs, etc. so this will help you learn. Their instructions are outstanding. I opted for the assembled version, I took it out of the box and it was ready to print. @redbaron assembled his so he may be able to provide better feedback on that front.

You will love it, you'll get addicted, apologies in advance. This is the best series, I have only watched some but LARS is amazing:

Latest resources

Back