• Commercial/Vendors welcome

3D Printing and RVing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Some may recall recently I had to remove the washer for a repair and putting the dryer back on top by myself, a struggle, I broke the knob off the washing machine. You can't buy a replacement knob for this machine as you have to buy the complete top control board assembly which is over $300 so it was time to 3D model and print! Took a good part of two days between modeling, test printing the fit against the machine, then 2 x 4 hour prints to get the knob right. Done, came out great, works great.

Had to model the washing machine "male side" first so I could use that as a cutting tool to cut into the knob for the fit. A bit of a challenge as measuring on the machine wasn't easy and the knubs got a little damaged from the knob being knocked off.

knob.PNG
male-side.PNG
IMG_2812.jpg
IMG_2820.jpg

I have looked the other way when it comes to 3D printing. If I want to gain a hobby, I have to give up a hobby.

In my universe, time, space and money are maxed out.

I have looked the other way when it comes to 3D printing. If I want to gain a hobby, I have to give up a hobby.

I added 3D printing to my hobby list to enhance another hobby...woodworking. I’m now able to design and print jigs that previously took more time and were less accurate. It also saves trips to the hardware store for small miscellaneous items like washers, screws, brackets, etc.

I think anything that finds one's interest you make time for. CAD design and 3D printing is not for everyone, no doubt about that. I have a mechanical engineering undergrad degree I never used, it's fun to put that to some use with this and I love creating things. 3D printing has a lot of great uses in the RV realm with storage, mounts, repairs. If not inspired or no interest then yes, it's not going to be something anyone will enjoy or find time to do.

I've seen YouTube videos of content I watch where some use SolidWorks so I figured I'd check it out. I paid for a 3 year of Autodesk Fusion 360 and love Fusion 360 because I've learned the basics of it and used it for 2 years now. SolidWorks for Makers is pretty cheap and I really haven't used it yet. I dabbled in it this morning just figuring out how to launch it as my Windows 11 install may have needed an updated install of it which I did this morning. It's interesting for sure, I have no real clue how to use it but it's something for some to look into that are into 3D printing. I'll stick to Fusion 360 as it works well for me but I'll continue to explore just for pain and suffering purposes.

For the 3D printer folk, a good video on Fusion 360 now exporting to 3MF instead of STL

Thanks @Neal ...good information. Looks like PrusaSlicr can process the files.

I bought the new Prusa Enclosure. In the midst of assembling it which I tinker on each night. I got to a point where it mentioned "parts you printed" and I said to self "huhhh?" so now I'm using my FlashForge Creator Pro to do the printing as the Prusa is disassembled ready to go into the enclosure. While I let it sit as usual dreading the manual labor it hasn't been bad at all. I still regret beyond words putting the MMU2S on my printer, biggest mistake, but it remains.

The enclosure will kill the idea of ever taking the printer with me in the RV again but a newer printer some day or the Prusa mini may be a RV printer. I do really enjoy 3D printing and can't wait to get back into it.

Latest resources

Back