RV Model
STT343VIK
RV Length
37'8"
TOW/TOAD
2021 Tundra for now
Fulltimer
Yes
I recently purchased a new travel trailer to live in full time. I ended up purchasing a TT based on the tow capacity of my 2021 Crewmax Tundra. I did not realize I would possibly be overloaded. The dealer only recommended a stabilizer hitch since my Tundra came with a break controller(this is 100% on me for not doing the right research). The Tundra did amazing during my two hour drive home from the dealer. No sway while crossing a few longer bridges here in ENC. Also had no issues with braking. The gain was set at 3.0 for the whole trip. While spending time looking for first time RVer tips, I came across lots of threads about the current subject and determined I likely need to trade my truck now. So my question becomes, am I really unsafe when on the road with my current set up? If so, the question becomes, how much truck do I need? I will be pulling it to Florida next month, and then parking for a while. I have attached a screen shot of my TT's specs. Thank you for the help

Attachments

• 20210126_163021000_iOS.jpg
    20210126_163021000_iOS.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 35
Next you should post a pic of the truck payload sticker inside the driver side doorjamb.
The relationship between truck GVWR, truck GAWR's and trailer GVWR and trailer tongue weight are the critical elements in determining where you are relative to under/over on any of these metrics.
According to Toyota, assuming a 2-wheel drive crewmax 2021 model, your truck has a towing capacity of 10,100 lbs.
Other models have less capacity. The 4x4 goes down to 9800 lbs. Added options add weight and lower these numbers. (see door sticker)
The rest of this is based on the best case scenario of a standard equipped 2021 Tundra 4x2 Crewmax truck.
The trailer you have listed has a GVWR of 10,985 lbs. (UVW + CCC).
That alone shows it could be loaded beyond the rated towing capabilities of the truck.
The tongue weight of that trailer loaded to it's GVWR would be about 1,318 lbs.
That is assuming 12% of trailer GVWR on the hitch.
That would only leave you 342 lbs. for EVERYTHING else in/on the truck before you hit maximum payload of 1660 lbs.
That means people, fuel, pets, kids, cargo in the bed or cab, the WD hitch (which you MUST have for that big trailer), etc.
Unless you travel alone with nothing in the truck, I don't think you can stay below that number.
Additionally, a 37' trailer is very long for a truck that only weighs 5,300 lbs. That is a lot of sail pushing your back end around.

Lack of research may be on you, but the trailer salesman should be flayed alive and tied to an ant hill in the desert for letting you leave the lot with that combination.

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyone's advice on this. I am finishing up a deal for a F250 with the Power Stroke in the morning. The only issue I have left is the WD hitch. My Tundra has a 2x2 Class IV hitch and the F250 will have the 2.5x2.5(maybe 3x3) Class V. I have seen some heavy duty steel inserts to make it work. Can I use this to keep using my current set up? My mistake has already cost me thousands. It would be amazing if I could save a good bit!!

Last edited:
I really appreciate everyone's advice on this. I am finishing up a deal for a F250 with the Power Stroke in the morning. The only issue I have left is the WD hitch. My Tundra has a 2x2 Class IV hitch and the F250 will have the 2.5x2.5(maybe 3x3) Class V. I have seen some heavy duty steel inserts to make it work. Can I use this to keep using my current set up? My mistake has already cost me thousands. It would be amazing if I could save a good bit!!

I use a Curt brand sleeve in my one ton. Works just fine after actually finding the one that fit my particular truck. Make sure you measure the hole placement precisely or you will be returning the item to the store or Amazon. On a different note... I'm not sure about you're particular state but for whatever reason its a whole lot cheaper to put tabs on a one ton pickup versus the 3/4 tons. Like a few hundred a year here in Minnesota. Something you may want to look at possibly.

On a different note... I'm not sure about you're particular state but for whatever reason its a whole lot cheaper to put tabs on a one ton pickup versus the 3/4 tons. Like a few hundred a year here in Minnesota. Something you may want to look at possibly.
Yea, gotta love Minnesota on their weighted plates. Even the Non Commercial like mine are expensive for a 16 year old truck........

Thank you everyone for their input. I truly appreciate the advice without constant criticism for Tundra decision. I picked up my new F250 on Thursday and my Curt Hitch Sleeve will be here on Monday. On to the next issue.... lol. Which happens to be finding a new home(RV resort) in Florida.

Latest resources

Back