Chassis
Sparten
Engine
450 cummins
TOW/TOAD
2022 Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
what is the proper use of the air ride system? Do I hit the dump air button on the leveling panel then level? also how does it fill back up for travel? this is still pretty new to me

If you hit the "auto level" button, it will dump the air bags then level automatically. Doesn't get much easier

If you are going to level manually, dump the air suspension first to get the coach as low to the ground as possible. Then level with the jacks. This minimizes the amount of lift necessary.

Either way (automatic or manual leveling) the air bags refill automatically as soon as you start the engine. Dumping the air from the bags doesn’t exhaust the air from the system, but refilling them may lower the pressure in the system enough to set off your low air alarm (~60psi) when you start the engine. If this is the case, wait until your system is above 100psi to operate the vehicle.

Here are a couple links on air brakes and air suspension:

Last edited:
Rich W not only answered your question better, he completely read the question. :)

Rich W not only answered your question better, he completely read the question. :)
I often find that I answer a question before really reading the it thorougly

the air bags refill automatically as soon as you start the engine.
i assume if the jacks are down, and I start the coach monthly, the bags won't fill until they are retracted?

i assume if the jacks are down, and I start the coach monthly, the bags won't fill until they are retracted?
I would expect that to be correct, because of the leveling system valving/controls, but I’ve never consciously put it to the test.

Edit:

From Ch 4 of the HWH link above

“Air is dumped from the air bags without affecting the air pressure in the air supply. When the pilot valve is shifted to the Travel position, air pressure is removed from the HCV dump valves. This allows the dump valves to return to the Travel position. The HCV can now inflate or deflate the air bags as needed.”

So you are correct. Assuming your leveling control is like the one pictured below, when Auto Level or Manual Dump is selected, the dump valves are held open and the bags are isolated from the rest of the air system, so they empty and can’t refill. When you hit Auto Store, the dump valves close (pilot valve has returned to the travel position) and the bags can refill.

B6517CC1-DAF1-43B7-AF84-32625BB94BB1.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back