RV Length
36'
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
Fiat 500 Turbo
Fulltimer
No
Even though a Dometic recall was published in July 2020 and my 2023 model New Aire was built in Oct 2022, my serial number was in the range of that recall letter. Newmar must have ordered a container or two or three <grin> of these Dometic basement storage fridge/freezers. Even though the rig was built 2 years and 3 months after the recall, no warning sticker on the device and the rig shipped from the factory to the dealer with both 120VAC and 12VDC outlets plugged in at the same time. I purchased it with both plugged in and am going on 9 months with this potential fire hazard being none the wiser. Even though I registered my CFX345 with Dometic, no recall letter. Lots of opportunities to pay for an extended warranty on a defective unit though!

To check your model and serial numbers: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCONL-20E040-2225.pdf

The recall remedy for this potential fire hazard if both are plugged in at the same time? A sticker they'd ship you to apply to the unit to warn you to only have one or the other plugged in, but not both.

I hope this helps somebody not to have what could be a very bad day...

Best,
-Mark

I've never used the 12v, but good to know, thanks

NHTSA should be notified. All parties (Newmar, Dometic, Dealer, and NHTSA) let this slip.

That's how I read it

But there is no oversite for any RV or RV company. They have been skating along this way for all time. I routinely see things that would not pass code in any house in the US. Some say the prices would skyrocket if codes were implemented. But you would not need guys like me as often or make lengthy and expensive trips to service centers.

NHTSA should be notified. All parties (Newmar, Dometic, Dealer, and NHTSA) let this slip.
I can see how this happens. Already registered owners are notified, but nobody had registered the CXF3xx prior to myself, the end user, many years later... The lesson I learned from this is to check all devices in any rig I purchase (even new) for any prior recalls or service bulletins. Had I paid for a professional inspection by an independent 3rd party before purchase, it may have been flagged. For some reason that's a natural and normal step when buying boats, but when it comes to RVs, not so much.

Best,
-Mark

I am curious why anyone would plug in both the 110 and the 12v. Has common sense been removed from the equation? Like how cars now have to come with a warning to not drink the antifreeze.
This is why I buy new and take the hit. I know the only fool touching that rv before me was the tech at the dealership and I can overcome that with a testing/checking every system. Who knows what a previous owner did.

Any way I can check for recalls on a 2017 forest river trailer? I purchased it from a dealer, as is.⚠️I don't think it has been used mutch.

This is unfortunate as I have the CF-80 (not affected) but the design of the 12V and 120V plugged in the same time is so if you lose your shore power (driving, etc.) you are still providing power to the cooler to cool. Is it going to be a problem for a day? Probably not but I also don't believe these units are sealed or insulated as well as residential refrigerators and aren't going to maintain temp as long, just a guess.

Latest resources

Back