Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
This morning had a "huh" moment as I opened my wet bay to stow the water line and then went to the power bay to stow the power cord and it was locked. Long story short, lock your basement doors then go test each one to see if they are all in fact locked. After performing this test I have two that are not locking.

We all know about these locks and they have a history one way or the other. I will pull the black plastic cover plates off one of these days to investigate but most likely the electric plunger detached from the lock arm. I really need to put the emergency pull cable setup in one of these days as not getting one open is not the scenario I want to deal with.

So if you want to easily check your basement door locks, try locking them and see if they are all locked.

We do this test before every departure. I lock all the doors (using button) and then one of us goes around and pulls on every handle. We have had a few act up and not lock for various reasons. One was the plunger coming off the lock arm…

Thanks!

Another item for the check list...:(

Yep, religiously. :)

In my many years of rving I have very seldom locked my basement doors. And I honestly have not talked to anyone that has had things stolen from closed, unlocked bay doors. Granted we do very little boon docking but we do sometimes stay in small open rv parks in not the best area of town. I mean we always leave barbecue stuff & chairs out for days at a time without ever a problem. Am I being naive here?

I thought the same thing, why lock them? Then I remind myself of my RV caravan through the Rockies and we had a stop where kids of long term residents were opening basements and taking stuff. So I guess it just depends on where you are. Boondocking doesn't concern me, kids or long term living setups do.

I thought the same thing, why lock them? Then I remind myself of my RV caravan through the Rockies and we had a stop where kids of long term residents were opening basements and taking stuff. So I guess it just depends on where you are. Boondocking doesn't concern me, kids or long term living setups do.
Was this anecdotal or did you actually observe kids stealing from the bays? I guess there are always some unruly nuts out there.

I did not personally, our caravan leader informed us of it happening and told us to lock the basement doors. Someone had it happen to them, possibly multiple in our caravan at a location.

My excuse is that I grew up in NY. :D

My basement door locks have been worry free….until now. Guess I’ll check it out - I have a lot of valuable stuff squirreled away and I like them locked whenever I’m away from the coach. Just like locking up the bikes - $10k in e-bikes and I don’t take chances. My son the cop thinks my precautions are stupid, but he’s had stuff stollen and I haven’t. So….

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back