Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star 4328 - FL Chassis
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
Yes
Did a search, found a posting but couldn't add to the post because it was too old. I had to replace a fraying throttle cable on a door latch and felt I should post a picture of what I did to insure that I can open mine when the cable fails. The cable has failed on members of this forum leaving them unable to open; in one case their wet bay door.
I used thin stranded coated copper wire and tied it to the latch (see picture). I kept the wire long to prevent it from inhibiting the function of the latch. I duct taped the other end of the wire to the stainless steel attached to the bottom of my doors. Did this about 2-3 yrs ago on all my doors.
It's also important to make sure the set screw is tight against the cable and I purchased some cables from Integrity RV Parts.
You'll also note I added a longer bolt with washer and nut to the top portion of the latch. I do feel this strengthens the upper portion of the latch.

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Get error when trying to view image:
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

I fixed the post

I did that to every basement door a few years ago. I used stainless fishing leader material and the crimps they sell for it, then put metal AC tape over the end at the bottom of the door. Can hardly tell it's there.

I did that to every basement door a few years ago. I used stainless fishing leader material and the crimps they sell for it, then put metal AC tape over the end at the bottom of the door. Can hardly tell it's there.
X2

Latest resources

Back