Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Broken down in Breckenridge....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
This tool will do a forced regen on either chassis as well as read and reset most codes. It's not a replacement for OTR, but cheap enough that every coach owner should have it and know how to use it. Ebay sells it for under $140.00.

Amazon has it for under $200

You must get the plus version for forced regen and other emissions reset.

I have never done a forced regen but Newmar did last year on the maintenance. Would not have the foggiest idea how to. I have a Spartan (King Aire) 2014. Suggestions on where to go to learn?

Back in March a few hours after leaving the Mothership I stopped to fuel up. When I started up again I got a DPF error Source 0, SPN 3720 FMI 15 but when I started driving it went away. I figured it was from all the start and stopping going into the service bays and after a few regens it would go away, My 2018 DSDP on Spartan does regens all the time, Spartan said it was nothing to worry about. In May I was at NIRVC in Atlanta and had them look at it. They said they couldn't reproduce it but it happens almost every time you start the engine and goes away when you move or give it some RPMs. They also said they couldn't do anything because their autoclave machine was down. You would have thought they would have cleared the codes but they didn't and they were short staffed and wanted me out of there. I probably would have had to spend another day there just for that. So that was 6 months ago and about 6,000+ miles.
I have a 2014 Spartan. When you say yours does it all the time does it do it automatically? I am really confused on this issue. Thinking of getting a Nexlink scanner that the Red Baron suggested but don't know if that will work.

View attachment 14364This tool sure has a lot of people saying it doesn’t work. @redbaron, have you had personal success using it?
No...but I will tomorrow. Amazon has flexible return so if you guys want to wait until I have tested I will report back.
Update:
I spoke with the MFG and they did assure me it was compatible with 2022 cummins ISX-15, so that is the best info I have for now.

I have a 2014 Spartan. When you say yours does it all the time does it do it automatically? I am really confused on this issue. Thinking of getting a Nexlink scanner that the Red Baron suggested but don't know if that will work.
X2

No...but I will tomorrow. Amazon has flexible return so if you guys want to wait until I have tested I will report back.
Update:
I spoke with the MFG and they did assure me it was compatible with 2022 cummins ISX-15, so that is the best info I have for now.
Thanks @redbaron ... I will put my order on hold until you do some testing and report back.

FLSteve (y)

ve never used the plug, but I’ve done numerous parked regens with OTR as a maintenance practice (it shows DPF % full in the live data) and will report back when I get my new Diesel Laptops Handheld unit in a few days. I bought this: Used Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen as they have some used for $299.

They have a 30 day return policy so if I dont like it I’ll send it back, but I want something that will work indpendent of the OTR app and internet access. OTR says that with the release of the new version, it will function without the internet, but I haven't tried that yet. I’ll test that when I test the Diesel Laptops handheld unit.
Just curious why you would need the Diesel handheld if you have the OTR and they will soon have the no internet upgrade?

Just curious why you would need the Diesel handheld if you have the OTR and they will soon have the no internet upgrade?
I just want back up and independent sources. I like to be able to compare results. I talked to OTR today and they said the app can be used without the internet for 14 days. Then you have to log on again and the clock starts over. Their way of making sure you keep your subscription current while allowing you to use their product when not in range of any service.

Yes I never start engine until the check engine light goes out.

Here is the message which is inactive, it was caused by a active regen that was unable to complete because of extended road construction and low speed. I have since had probably 5-6 regen’s that completed normally. I agree that having a device that allows owners to do forced regen is very valuable
I have a 2022 FL chassis and the lagging yellow check engine light that lights with key on and stays on 20-30 seconds is the last dash light to go out.

Asked at my dealership and they just thought it was a harmless variable. I said even if it never did that before?

Knowing your system is a good idea, you are right. Sounds like that kind of CEL issue needs to be cleared by FL in my case. Thanks for the insight.

Sometimes this lifestyle is like the game of CLUE. Regards

I asked Cummins about that light and it's normal. Comes on because no oil pressure yet.

Well I did something Monday that I hope to never repeat, but does explain a bit about how the newer coaches behave.

The ISX gets an average of 110MPG on DEF fluid. Newmar advertises that the DEF tank is 15 gallons.

We had traveled 900 miles without adding DEF due to my desire to get rid of the old stuff that had been sitting for 70 days. I ran the math, and figured I had at least 500 miles to go, so we pushed on thru Yellowstone from the west, went east thru Cody and Lovell, and chose a route climbing out of Lovell WY to Sheridan. This is some serious mountain climbing, especially the route we took.

At 1100 miles, the Def gauge turned red. My wife was driving, and I told her casually that we should be good. I mentioned that if we see a easy place to pull off near a C-store, I would run in and buy some DEF.

Neither of us deemed it urgent, and we passed 4 of them and kept going.

at 1150 miles, we where on the highway and passed a big truck stop. It wasn't on the app and we where not prepared to stop in time, so we kept going..again under the assumption that we had 400 miles. I was targeting a stopy in Cheyenne where we would take on fuel. I figured 1500 miles should be easy to do on a full tank of DEF.

at 1160 miles, we received a yellow CEL. There is a code associated with it, but I wasn't driving and did not record it. I will pull it up later.

at 1180 miles, the dash display changed to a flashing red on the def gauge and a constant repeat of the Yellow CEL...this had me nervous for the first time, because now I am reading @Neal thread and starting to think I made a mistake.

We found a C-store @ 1205 miles and I added 5 gallons of DEF. We never shutdown the engine. The code cleared somewhere between the 2 jugs of DEF--not sure when.

We then drove for another 245 miles and stopped at a fuel truck stop with pump-def.
I added as much DEF as I could, and it took 10 gallons.

If my math was correct about the 100MPg average, then it should have taken 12-13 gallons.
While we know that DEF usage is not 1:1 per mile, meaning that it could drive 90 miles not using any, then use 1 gallon over the next 10 miles, I am also thinking that the reserve of the DEF tank is artificially lower than I assumed. I believe that the computer will start derate with over 1 gallon left in the tank, and by my math closer to 2 gallons.

So to be safe, assume 20% of the tank reserve is unusable - or 300 miles worth of DEF in the ISX-605HP

I usually refill between 1/8 and 1/4 tank of Diesel, and try to skip DEF between every other stop. I will have to start carrying a spare bottle to prevent a future scare.
I always told myself: Assumption is the Mother of ALL f—- up’s. 😀

Latest resources

Back