Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Broken down in Breckenridge....

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
As I mentioned @ARD had hers after Angel Fire (8000+ altitude) and it happened traveling in high altitude ops from Angel Fire to Santa Fe to ABQ.
I know you are trying to make connections here with high altitude, but the problem in my case my coach was doing a regen when I had to come to a stop and then it tried to continue the regen, but after I had the stop, I started throwing codes. It tried to continue regen when I got up to speed and then I stopped to park at the CG in Santa Fe. The last thing you want to do is go from hot and turn the coach off. I ended up with soot getting stuck in the intake valve. If you do decide to do forced regen, you want to let the coach idle for about 10 mins so the temperature can come down before turning it off. If you shut it down while hot, you will probably throw codes.

I’ve spoken with techs at both Cummins and Spartan and they do not advise doing forced regens as part of a maintenance program. What you are essentially doing is aging your DPF and engine. You are forcing more diesel to your exhaust system for why? In fact Spartan took the ability of owners from doing forced regens away because you don’t need to do it and are likely to screw things up. The fire trucks still have ability to do them and even a fire truck driver admitted they caused more problems than necessary.

So that’s my two cents. I’m in the camp of letting your coach do its job and it will regen when necessary. To have a tool on hand for just in case is always nice and initially I was going to purchase one; however, I’ve had an issue once in 5 years so I think I’ll pass for now.

There was discussion in this thread or somewhere else with @sheridany offering his not so great experience getting money out of Coach-net and I just received a check for $160 from them for my $310 service call for this incident. I just called Coach-net and asked why not the full $310 - they don't reimburse parts or labor. My invoice was $150 for the service call, $150 for labor, $10 for mileage so I got the service call fee + mileage. Still better than nothing.

I Attended the Freightliner camp, and the lecturer recommended to travel with full fresh water tank for a better ride?
I found that very true on my 3412. The sweet spot is 80% water, empty blk & gry tanks and start off full fuel of course. Better ride and more stable in wind/passing. When I get down to half a tank of fuel I can tell the handling is starting to change. And towing a 4400 lb jeep.

Full fresh makes sense to avoid all that water weight sloshing. And your fresh tank's width is the width of the coach vs. along the path of travel. Never thought of that. So the adverse affect will be side to side.

Great topic for all diesel pusher owners. I found this and bought one today from Diesel Laptops.

Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen​

by Diesel Laptops

Latest resources

Back