• Commercial/Vendors welcome

BURPING the system

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Well, @ARD, it is beginning to sound a lot like what @Kevin D Pem described above; either a pump or controller. Are you saying that the pump is now running continuously, or does it eventually shut off? If it is eventually shutting off, I think Kevin's theory of a bad pressure switch is a likely culprit. What I don't know is whether that switch is separate, built into the pump or built into the controller. Newmar should know the answer to that question.

TJ

My water pump was running continuously a couple months ago, unknown reason as I was hooked up to city water and don’t use the water pump. Pump was somehow inadvertently turned on and I actually noticed it running?

I removed the inlet connection prior to the screen filter (red arrow), then reconnected and restarted the water pump. After about 15-20 seconds all was back to normal, I turned pump off. Don’t know if this will solve your problem but worth a try.
FBE2C19F-A2D0-4327-A5E7-5AAFC14EF9B5.jpeg

I have had to replace 2 water pumps showing same symptoms. The inner seal was defective. Both times covered by warranty, both failed pumps where the remco high capacity. I am running my 3rd remco, which appears physically different than the first 2, although the same model.

When failed, it did in fact introduce air into the system. The original newmar pump is onboard as a spare, and I used it to purge the air.

I had a similar problem and it just happened to be a Remco variable speed pump. When there was no demand the pump would continue running very slow. I burped the system several times for a total of 50+ gallons of water. I called Remco CS explained the issue. I told him I could install the original pump and it would stop when the demand stopped. He told me I had a leak. I explained what I had done to him and I couldn't find a leak as no water anywhere. So why would the original pump stop but the Remco wouldn't? His answer was the Remco was a variable speed and the original wasn't. After a lot of searching and testing of the pump I found the issue. It was a leaking 90* fitting up stream of the pump where I had changed the original fitting clamp to a screw type hose clamp. I installed the clamp using screw driver it was tight but not tight enough. Used a socket got about 1/2 turn and that fixed the issue. So a small leaking fitting up stream that will allow air into the system without leaking water will cause the Remco variable speed pump (at least) to continue to run.

Love my Remco AES and yes, if air is getting in that will happen.

My $0.02, in the past I have found that if the outside rise outlet is shut off at the head and not at the Hot/Cold valves you will get all sorts of odd pump issues. Water will not leak from the head but will cross feed between hot and cold sides of the plumbing causing the pump to run.

Well, @ARD, it is beginning to sound a lot like what @Kevin D Pem described above; either a pump or controller. Are you saying that the pump is now running continuously, or does it eventually shut off? If it is eventually shutting off, I think Kevin's theory of a bad pressure switch is a likely culprit. What I don't know is whether that switch is separate, built into the pump or built into the controller. Newmar should know the answer to that question.

TJ
Well, it changed. When i switched on the water pump, it would immediately come on and run and run until I turned off. Then a few days later, I would turn it on and nothing happened. And I just tried again. I turned the pump on, no immediate sound, turned on water and it came on, but won't turn off.

My water pump was running continuously a couple months ago, unknown reason as I was hooked up to city water and don’t use the water pump. Pump was somehow inadvertently turned on and I actually noticed it running?

I removed the inlet connection prior to the screen filter (red arrow), then reconnected and restarted the water pump. After about 15-20 seconds all was back to normal, I turned pump off. Don’t know if this will solve your problem but worth a try.View attachment 4762
Thanks Bill!!! Will give that a try.

Same issue I had with a variable speed pump. Would not stop when no water was demanded. Turn it off and it would not come on until a water demand. Turned out to be a small leak on the suction side of the pump. It didn't leak any water but would suck air. Tighten a clamp and it works perfect. Good luck

My water pump was acting up a little and I've known ever since installing this one I may have had a problem with the screen filter on the inlet side of the pump. In Tucson I removed the screen filter as it was a source of an air leak I believe causing the pump to run oddly. If you have an air leak the pump will have problems as you describe. We filter the water going into the tank, in your case like mine we have at least two filters depending on if you use one prior to your water softener that would make 3. You (or Jack) could just go in and remove the screen filter at your water pump and connect the hose coming from the fresh tank to the pump directly, all the same fittings. Mine are quick release, some may have screw on. It's super simple, you could do it. Just detach and reattach the lines going into the pump, if that doesn't work then the line on the other side of the pump going into your coach. You can either detach/reattach the pump connections or do as I did and completely remove the screen filter at the water pump and see how that works for you. I think that screen is overkill and in my case was a cause for problems. No issues since removing the screen filter for me.

Turn off city water AND the water pump prior to doing this.

Latest resources

Back