• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Campgrounds are getting expensive!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Have you ever considered County and City owned parks?

There seems to be a trend of cities/counties buying/leasing state and COE parks. And the prices are under $40/night for at least a W/E site and often there is also sewer.

Also there are State and National Forests to consider. COE parks are still affordable.

I am finding that many State Parks are pricing themselves out of my budget.

Yes, I'm trying to watch my $$$ and can only get out for a few weeks before my next obligation, and then probably out for two months finally! Looking to get me and all of the critters keeping my coach safe from being in storage forever, I may need help with names soon, but did some searching for campgrounds. I don't know if I'm going east or west from my central VA location. Would love to get back to Cherrystone which was my first camping trip after I got my new coach (that tunnel was is and will forever be terrifying) but it's crazy expensive. So then I figured let me checkout another favorite and peaceful relaxing location which is Luray, VA. They are no longer a KOA I don't think and they have a new neighbor which is pricey as well as them. Do I really want to spend nearly $1K to go RV someplace for a week? Good grief!

I think in the past I just didn't care, I went months on end and just paid off the CC bill without thinking about it. Now I'm getting picky and I think I'm going to have to start State Park hunting for good deals. I doubt anyone else is doing that!!!! :rolleyes: Harvest Hosts is a unique opportunity but not really a money saver typically as what you would spend at a campground for a night you essentially give them in your business for those that don't know how that works.

So yeah, I'm for the first time weighing, stay home a few more weeks and not spend $$$K or go and just do it. I'm not done looking, it's actually quite hard to figure out where to go for just a short trip, for me, when my trips are typically months on end.

Moral is, this has gotten crazy expensive and I'm not even counting fuel, and won't, don't care, that is what it is, but the campground costs are getting insane and I'm not enabling them, I will not give my business to campgrounds that are over entitled trying to get outrageous nightly rates.
Well for me that just takes the fun out of it . Especially when it cost as much or more to lodge in your own rig . That's the price of a hotel or motel . I won't pay it

IMO - Prices have gotten ridiculous.

As others have said, a parking pad with electric, water and a sewer pipe should not cost as much as a hotel room.

These insane costs bug us enough and on the cross country part of our most recent trip, we were traversing for 9 days. We only paid $20 for 1 night, a stop in Vegas at a T/A truck stop.

We have had some mild success in finding campgrounds less than $50 a night, but it takes time and work to find them.

As others have said, a parking pad with electric, water and a sewer pipe should not cost as much as a hotel room.

These insane costs bug us enough and on the cross country part of our most recent trip, we were traversing for 9 days. We only paid $20 for 1 night, a stop in Vegas at a T/A truck stop.

We have had some mild success in finding campgrounds less than $50 a night, but it takes time and work to find them.
Did the TA have hook ups ? I didn't know they charged ive used them at no cost . But it was just parking of course

Have you priced hotel rooms lately?

I'm starting to see RVs parked in motel lots for the reason what the heck . Cheaper to get a motel/hotel room for a night . That's just outrageous 😥

Yes, I'm trying to watch my $$$ and can only get out for a few weeks before my next obligation, and then probably out for two months finally! Looking to get me and all of the critters keeping my coach safe from being in storage forever, I may need help with names soon, but did some searching for campgrounds. I don't know if I'm going east or west from my central VA location. Would love to get back to Cherrystone which was my first camping trip after I got my new coach (that tunnel was is and will forever be terrifying) but it's crazy expensive. So then I figured let me checkout another favorite and peaceful relaxing location which is Luray, VA. They are no longer a KOA I don't think and they have a new neighbor which is pricey as well as them. Do I really want to spend nearly $1K to go RV someplace for a week? Good grief!

I think in the past I just didn't care, I went months on end and just paid off the CC bill without thinking about it. Now I'm getting picky and I think I'm going to have to start State Park hunting for good deals. I doubt anyone else is doing that!!!! :rolleyes: Harvest Hosts is a unique opportunity but not really a money saver typically as what you would spend at a campground for a night you essentially give them in your business for those that don't know how that works.

So yeah, I'm for the first time weighing, stay home a few more weeks and not spend $$$K or go and just do it. I'm not done looking, it's actually quite hard to figure out where to go for just a short trip, for me, when my trips are typically months on end.

Moral is, this has gotten crazy expensive and I'm not even counting fuel, and won't, don't care, that is what it is, but the campground costs are getting insane and I'm not enabling them, I will not give my business to campgrounds that are over entitled trying to get outrageous nightly rates.
Canada is just as bad. Provincial parks here are pretty much reserve only and that adds a reservation fee on top of the site!

Fuel cost up here are causing heart attacks. $1,70 + per L in BC (aprox 4 L to a US gal) That is $6.80 Cdn or $5.08 US per gal of regular. One would think that the high cost of traveling would free up some camp sites. No such luck.

Yep, many RV parks and "resorts" have gotten to be price-crazy. Two months after buying our first motorhome, we were fortunate enough to meet up with a group of like-minded RVers. As a newbie, I asked a couple of fellows what their all-time favorite RV parks were. The first wrote the name of a park in Pagosa Springs that has since gone out of business. The second just told me that the park only mattered a little and that the important thing was the people you get to spend some time with, some of whom may become life-long friends.
In order to keep costs at bay, we have taken to doing some new things recently. For one, we are dipping our toes in the waters of volunteering. This summer we will pay no campground fees while volunteering at a national fish hatchery. I know...not for everybody. We are also doing some volunteering in Texas next winter.
In all, we will pay no campground fees for six of the next twelve months and we'll get to know a lot people with common interests.
And, as Elk Lodge members, we are taking advantage of a number of lodge sites for the price of a donation to a good cause...usually $15 to $20 a night. Additionally, we have taken advantage of living this long with half-price nights at Corps of Engineers parks, frequently for less than $20 a night. All that allows us some limited stays at the really nice resorts, while keeping this lifestyle affordable.

And oddly enough, we have still never stayed at the recommended Pagosa Springs park. But, WOW, have we ever made a bunch of friends on our adventures!

I'm curious what the annual campground costs will be for a fulltimer (other than @GlampDaddy) in 2023. I imagine it's going to be north of $40K! Fulltimers please log your finances as I'm sure you are and report in with your end of year report :geek:

Latest resources

Back