• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Campgrounds are getting expensive!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I recently completed a trip to GA and FL. Most nights were right around $100+ and with one exception, they weren’t luxury resorts.

Since COVID my wife, who is a serious foodie, has been reluctant to eat in a restaurant. On this last month long trip of 1350 miles up & down California we ate out several times in ok -to- nice restaurants. With a bottle of halfway decent wine, a cut of meat or a seafood pasta and a 20 percent tip the meal was often $150 dollars give or take. Our park spots ranged from a high of $140 at Sun Outdoors in Chula Vista to $40 at the fairgrounds in Grass Valley. Those rates seemed quite fair to me considering their costs and overhead in this state.

The double sites where we camp most summers are around $80. That’ll take two trailers/RVs, without water or sewer connections. The singles are $55 IIRC. We tend to camp with another family.

During season in Florida, a site at Disney's Fort Wilderness can easily cost you close to $250/night including all taxes. Even with that it's hard to get a reservation at times.

FLSteve :unsure:

For overnight stops we are at another Loves RV site for the night.

Last night we were at one with 40 sites, bunch pull through, etc. easy in and out along with filling up on the way.

Tonight’s stop only has 4 sites but full hookup. These are all back in but threaded the needle and got our Superstar in one if them.

With the senior or military discount they were about $40 for the night.

Much more convenient and easier than trying to get in and maneuver around a campground for just an overnight.

Based on these two we will continue to try and book these when looking for overnights.

During season in Florida, a site at Disney's Fort Wilderness can easily cost you close to $250/night including all taxes. Even with that it's hard to get a reservation at times.

FLSteve :unsure:
Everything Disney is overpriced. Judy D

I'm curious as to what you consider to be "outrageous nightly rates?"

On our last trip through Florida, I found the nightly rates to be between $100-$125 a night. Personally, I thought that was a bit expensive given I was crammed into a slot next to my neighbors sewer hookup.

But everything costs more these days. Employee's wages, insurance, water/power, etc., and don't forget that 25% of your nightly fee goes to government related expenses.

Yes, the resort/campground/whatever, is making money, but probably not as much as you think they are.
That is 2-3x what I am willing to pay anywhere.😎

That is 2-3x what I am willing to pay anywhere.😎
They're selling the weather! Seriously, it's the weather and the climate. That's what I went there for. That same site in the middle of the desert wouldn't sell for $20.

They're selling the weather! Seriously, it's the weather and the climate. That's what I went there for. That same site in the middle of the desert wouldn't sell for $20.
We western coastal folk can only tolerate Florida weather in the winter😳 Even then, the heat, humidity, and the bugs that loved my husband were not great. We had a wonderful trip, but very expensive rv parks, and very crowded. We plan to do one more cross country trip, but it will be to the NE, and nearby Canada areas. Judy D

Fully agree they're increasing! Also love the "lock in" fee some are charging and if you don't pay, you'll be moved to another spot.
Can you further elaborate ? I don't fully understand . Thanks

Latest resources

Back