Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Yes, I'm trying to watch my $$$ and can only get out for a few weeks before my next obligation, and then probably out for two months finally! Looking to get me and all of the critters keeping my coach safe from being in storage forever, I may need help with names soon, but did some searching for campgrounds. I don't know if I'm going east or west from my central VA location. Would love to get back to Cherrystone which was my first camping trip after I got my new coach (that tunnel was is and will forever be terrifying) but it's crazy expensive. So then I figured let me checkout another favorite and peaceful relaxing location which is Luray, VA. They are no longer a KOA I don't think and they have a new neighbor which is pricey as well as them. Do I really want to spend nearly $1K to go RV someplace for a week? Good grief!

I think in the past I just didn't care, I went months on end and just paid off the CC bill without thinking about it. Now I'm getting picky and I think I'm going to have to start State Park hunting for good deals. I doubt anyone else is doing that!!!! :rolleyes: Harvest Hosts is a unique opportunity but not really a money saver typically as what you would spend at a campground for a night you essentially give them in your business for those that don't know how that works.

So yeah, I'm for the first time weighing, stay home a few more weeks and not spend $$$K or go and just do it. I'm not done looking, it's actually quite hard to figure out where to go for just a short trip, for me, when my trips are typically months on end.

Moral is, this has gotten crazy expensive and I'm not even counting fuel, and won't, don't care, that is what it is, but the campground costs are getting insane and I'm not enabling them, I will not give my business to campgrounds that are over entitled trying to get outrageous nightly rates.

Fully agree they're increasing! Also love the "lock in" fee some are charging and if you don't pay, you'll be moved to another spot.

@Neal are you a Passport America member?

I have to take a deep breath and keep reminding myself that everyone's costs are going up. Those rising campground costs make me cringe.
State parks in VA are not cheap for non-residents either. You can find commercial campgrounds for less. You just have to decide whether you want amenities (wifi, etc) or scenery.
Even military campgrounds are increasing. Ellsworth AFB went from $30/night last year to $54/night this year during peak season. Sticker shock for sure.

I don't use or need fancy amenities. Several places I used to go were bought by KOA, and price doubled. I won't be back. the reasonably priced places get me back year after year. Likely, I will never see all of the touristy places. I love living in my coach, so if the bathroom and laundry room is clean, and there are necessities groceries, hardware, pharmacy) very close by. I am good. a longer stay with fewer amenities suits me fine. Nice to have cable though since many seniors are in bed before the city gigs even get started.🤣

Moral is, this has gotten crazy expensive and I'm not even counting fuel, and won't, don't care, that is what it is, but the campground costs are getting insane and I'm not enabling them, I will not give my business to campgrounds that are over entitled trying to get outrageous nightly rates.
I'm curious as to what you consider to be "outrageous nightly rates?"

On our last trip through Florida, I found the nightly rates to be between $100-$125 a night. Personally, I thought that was a bit expensive given I was crammed into a slot next to my neighbors sewer hookup.

But everything costs more these days. Employee's wages, insurance, water/power, etc., and don't forget that 25% of your nightly fee goes to government related expenses.

Yes, the resort/campground/whatever, is making money, but probably not as much as you think they are.

It’s not just just campground. I just paid $1.49 for a regular size candy bar for one of my kids (as a reward). Fortunately for us, our household income is vastly outpacing inflation.

Latest resources

Back