Chassis
Spartan
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
2017 Expedition
Fulltimer
No
Having just had the coach battery door latch repaired we were trying to beat darkness on our 220 mile trip home. We stopped and I unlocked the cargo doors and this one popped open. The cable (for the power lock) was too tight and now the door would not stay closed so I set to loosen/lengthen the cable but it slipped through and was too frayed to put back in. Pressed for daylight, I assumed the key latch would work and closed the door. @&#&(! It don’t. In one position it feels like it should but pretty hard pull but it wont unlock 🤬and I’m afraid to pull too hard. It seems the key should work. Already too long on hold at NM.
Any experience on burglarizing a stainless latch?

Yea…the key lock only allows/disallows the lever to be thrown or not, so it has no part of the actual opening of the latch. So this is the house battery door? I know there is an open back to this compartment…but I am not sure it is big enough to reach the door latch mechanism….

Yea…the key lock only allows/disallows the lever to be thrown or not, so it has no part of the actual opening of the latch. So this is the house battery door? I know there is an open back to this compartment…but I am not sure it is big enough to reach the door latch mechanism….
Thanks Richpatty, that was my guess. Yes, house battery door and yes, I know it has some open access. Mine seems to be accessed from middle center of coach after I’ve lifted it and blocked high enough to crawl under with some sort of hook or prod (non metal) to grab or smack it.
Not real appealing at this point but thanks for comments.

Yea….not a great situation. It sure if anyone has any better ideas than me…. Maybe Newmar?

After you have this done, I would go to every door, take off the panel and make sure that all of your cables are tight. I even went so far as putting a crimp on the end of each one so they could not pull through. And went a step further on doors that you cannot get to (like this one) and put an emergency pull cable that you can reach from underneath.
Just paranoid I guess. :)

Latest resources

Back