Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Owen21

RVF Newbee
Is it recommended to stay with the same brand of axle I have Dexter.
I was thinking maybe the brake actuator might not work with a different brand maybe it will.
Might be some hidden cost that make it more worthwhile to replace with original.
Or I might find a stronger one for the same price or less from another company .
I am just starting my research into this problem I have a bent axle 3500 lbs.
Top weight of camper loaded is 3500 lbs. next biggest Dexter axle is 5200 lbs. .

First question, what bent the axle? According to Dexter you have an axle that has a tube 2 3/8" in diameter. The 5200 pound and up axles are 3" tubes so you would need new U-bolts for them and Dexter can supply them. If your springs are on the top of the axle changing it is really simple. It would be a slight amount more work if the springs are under the axle. Far as a brake controller, they don't have any idea what axle is hooked to them, so any electric brake will be fine with it. Don't know if you looked at the selection of axles, but Eastern Marine has a lot of info on them: DEXTER Trailer Axles at Trailer Parts Superstore Dexter also has a lot of info: Home | Dexter Axle Co

First question, what bent the axle? According to Dexter you have an axle that has a tube 2 3/8" in diameter. The 5200 pound and up axles are 3" tubes so you would need new U-bolts for them and Dexter can supply them. If your springs are on the top of the axle changing it is really simple. It would be a slight amount more work if the springs are under the axle. Far as a brake controller, they don't have any idea what axle is hooked to them, so any electric brake will be fine with it. Don't know if you looked at the selection of axles, but Eastern Marine has a lot of info on them: DEXTER Trailer Axles at Trailer Parts Superstore Dexter also has a lot of info: Home | Dexter Axle Co
Thanks I am in the dark on this subject its a new problem to me. Too little information can cost you new hanger does not seem to be much of a problem. My thinking is upgrade a little for a slight increase in cost and maybe there is a less chance of a future problem. The gvwr is 3500 the axle is 3500 and I realize the tongue weight gives me a ten percent cushion . My camper is a single axle camper if that makes a difference.

Well, most of the answer about upgrading is "depends". What I mean is can it be done? Sure. You could put two 7000 pound axles under it if you want, but MOST LIKELY it won't be much of a problem to upgrade. Four U-bolts, two tie plates, and the axle. Jack up the trailer, put stands under it, pull the wheels, unbolt the U-bolts, cut the brake wires. Then put new axle in place, new u-bolts and plates, torque the nuts,hook up the wires. If everything goes decent you can change them in just about an hour. I just put four new springs and u-bolts under mine, packed the wheel bearings and aired up the tires in about four hours total.

Latest resources

Back