Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
Yukon Denali
Fulltimer
Yes
What a trainwreck, with a save by the Finance Manager! BUT FOR HER (shout out to Sesty Harris), I would be writing an entirely different post. First of all, let me preface my remarks….ALL of the employees that I dealt with are very nice, good intentioned people, so it makes writing this post all the more difficult because I like them. So shoving that aside, let me share my experience as an owner selling my coach via Consignment with NIRVC at the Lewisville location. I write this with the intention of helping other consignment newbies in being more prepared, thus having a positive and smooth experience. It could happen.

What happened after I signed the Consignment Agreement? NIRVC immediately had the coach detailed and it was on their website pronto. I had an offer within a day or two. It was put back on the available list as the buyer needed to work out some credit issues. Within a week came the second offer. An inspection was done, and we had an agreement on the following day (Thursday). The salesperson told me that the buyers would be taking possession of the coach on Friday. Now this is where it gets bizarre. I didn’t hear anything from anyone about the sale. The salesperson was MIA. WHO was handling this transaction? I had no idea. No one kept me in the loop. I texted the salesperson to see if we closed and whether I can cancel my insurance. I finally reach someone and that someone was Sesty. It did not go well at all. The buyers had closed and were going to drive off in my coach and I was told - you, owner, will not be receiving any money because you didn’t give us title. Wait, what?! I gave the Sales Manager everything weeks ago and was told everything would be taken care of by their title department.

So I ask, how is it that the buyer is driving off in my coach with the title in my name. Oh you can imagine what I was thinking and feeling.

I finally receive a copy of the Settlement Statement and it was incorrect. I received a corrected copy which I signed and returned. Meanwhile, the buyers have left the premises in “my” coach. I wrote the Sales Manager an email and copied the salesperson and the Finance Manager. I expressed my disappointment due to unmet expectations; total lack of communication between each “department” with each other and me; and the feeling that the only party that mattered was the buyer.

To date, I have not heard from the Sales Manager or the salesperson in response to my email. Sesty, however, immediately emailed me and then called. She apologized and acknowledged that we got off on the wrong foot. She further explained how the process should have transpired. Someone dropped the ball, (cough) Sales Manager. Sadly, I am not the only person this has happened to. I have no doubts if Sesty has it in her power, it will not be repeated again.

So let’s get back to the title issue. NIRVC shouldn’t even had my coach for sale without actual title in their hands. Had I known they needed a copy of the printed title rather than the copy of the electronic title I gave them, I would have obtained it immediately. Instead I was told that their title person would take care of it. As an FYI, in Florida the buyer initiates a title transfer and as an owner I file a notice of sale to protect me from liability in the event the buyer gets in an accident while title is still in my name.

On Friday, at 7 pm EST, I requested a printed copy of the title to be sent to NIRVC which would take 7 to 10 business days. I sent a copy of the request to Sesty and she told me to contact Melissa in accounting on Monday with wiring instructions. She said that they would be able to wire the money since she had a copy of my request for printed title. I believe this was a generous concession on her part.

I called Melissa Monday and she was polite as she tried to track down yet another person, the treasury accountant, who I would need to give my wiring instructions to. At this point, I’m confused. I thought Melissa was the accounting person, but no problem. Finally, the right person has my wiring instructions and then it gets weirder. She tells me that the loan should fund Tuesday and then they would wire me my funds on Wednesday.

HUH? So the buyers have driven off in my coach, have joined the FB Newmar’s Owners Group, made a post about their new coach while the title is still in my name and they haven’t paid for it yet?! Forget title, NIRVC didn’t even have the money to wire to me in the first place. I’m speechless. Yeah, I know it happens sometimes.

I received a call from Sesty as well and she explained the only reason they let them drive off was because it was their bank that was doing the lending; therefore, they knew the money was coming. Okay, I like you and I don’t want to be rude, so I kept my mouth shut. Anything I had to say was pointless since everything was after the fact. However, I felt rather incredulous and the ONLY reason I didn’t go ballistic is because I have met Brett Davis and his integrity is unquestionable. So I’m not worried, but this is very messed up.

To conclude, the buyers have been in possession of “my” coach for 6 days. I should receive a wire today. NIRVC will get the printed title in 7-10 business days and then they can initiate a title transfer. It doesn’t make sense to me, but there you go.

So that’s my story. My two cents are as follows…if you decide to sell your coach on consignment, request printed title immediately if your coach is registered electronically. Do not rely on anyone’s statement that such and such will take care of it. As it turns out, FL asked some personal questions and NIRVC would never have been able to request the printed title anyway. Once they receive that, they can then initiate a transfer of title.

I don’t care how nice the salespeeps are. Keep your mouth shut. Don’t give them any information. They are SALESpeople. They only care about the buyer. And the fact that you may be using them to buy a new coach doesn’t matter.

Find out who is going to keep you in the loop. Know the process. You will sign an agreement with the Sales Manager, then what. Find out what departments/people the deal will flow through, who should be doing what and what to expect. Get their names and their contact information. Make an organizational chart. Seriously, I’m not kidding. Copy everyone on everything and maybe you will get a response from someone. For me, that person was Sesty, the Finance Manager. She did her best to fix everyone else’s failures and do the best by me.

If anyone else has sold their rig on consignment, please consider contributing to this thread with any information/advice to assist others in being smart and having a successful and satisfying transaction. I doubt I would sell a coach this way again but if I do, I will be a little bit smarter about it.

Happy Travels!

Renee

That sure seems like a bunch there. I relate this type of thing to a fumble in football. Often the next guy also fumbles or kicks the ball down field. It often times take a few more touches before someone actually just drops on the ball and solves the issue. Same thing here.
A dealer getting paid after something leaves is very common. Most lenders do take a couple days for fund. AND since most funds are electronically (ACH) moved, that also adds an overnight when all electronic money moves happen.
It would seem though that in the case of a consignment sale, delaying the buyer a day or 2 to secure funds and get you paid would have been a good idea. No matter who controls the paper, accidents or mistakes can happen to further delay funding. Not the same as delivering a piece the store owns.
Hope you see your $$ real soon and this can get put to bed.
Ken

@ARD I appreciate your posting. As you know, I too have sold my coach. I am using NIRVC to handle the in and out portion of the deal. I too had a rocky start getting the team engaged and having them get the buyer ( @tims5842 ) the information.

It will be interesting to get the story from both sides of the transaction. We expect to complete our deal next week.

Doing the in and out, the coach remains in my possession, but I still get the tax savings.

There is no way the buyer should have left with the coach while you still own it. They should not even sleep in the coach until the deal is finalized. That is how newmar does it for factory delivery and how NIRVC does it for their delivery.

I'm really saddened to hear this regarding @NIRVC and I'm sure @Brett Davis will want to get to the bottom of this. Having spoken with @ARD at length on this, the version above is the kindler gentler version after having calmed down a lot since then. These are homes on wheels, the sale is for over 1/4 million dollars, this is not a craigslist or ebay sale, this is a HOME sale. This is not how homes are sold. I hope an investigation is launched by @Brett Davis and the facts and timelines are reviewed carefully as I seriously doubt this is how he wants his operation to be run or reputation to be represented. Without people sharing their story improvements cannot happen so I'm glad @ARD told her story, in a much kinder way to help others to be forewarned and prepared for when it's time to sell your "home" on wheels and it's done without risk. I'm saddened to hear how one sided this "deal" was as @NIRVC was out with great priority working to provide a great new customer experience seemingly disregarding that @ARD is also a new @NIRVC customer with a new London Aire on order. I would never have agreed to what she accepted or tolerated what she was put through. I hope there is better for others in the future and those involved are educated accordingly. I'm sure @ARD's confidence in @NIRVC is shattered. I hope this can be turned around ASAP. I believe there are still unanswered emails sent by @ARD which is also telling of those involved.

I have a question based off of this consignment scenario and title timeline. If the title is not transferred, i.e. the seller is still the holder of the title, and the motorhome is in an accident, let's call it totaled, who's insurance is liable? Was the new owner's insurance validated, i.e. were they even insured in that vehicle when driven off the lot? I assume maybe the driver is the one liable, but what if they aren't insured yet as they don't have a title? Maybe not an issue if the dealer is the lienholder. I'm trying to figure out the real risk of this scenario if something were to happen before the formal transfer occurs in the eyes of DMV and insurance.

I have a question based off of this consignment scenario and title timeline. If the title is not transferred, i.e. the seller is still the holder of the title, and the motorhome is in an accident, let's call it totaled, who's insurance is liable? Was the new owner's insurance validated, i.e. were they even insured in that vehicle when driven off the lot? I assume maybe the driver is the one liable, but what if they aren't insured yet as they don't have a title? Maybe not an issue if the dealer is the lienholder. I'm trying to figure out the real risk of this scenario if something were to happen before the formal transfer occurs in the eyes of DMV and insurance.
The buyer has 30 days in most cases to add insurance.

The seller shouldn't cancel until they have been paid in full for insurance. You can usually backdate an insurance cancellation by 30 days, with proof of a sale, so I always delay until all funding is clear for any vehicle to cancel insurance.

Also, in Florida, Texas, and most states, it is very important that the seller file a notice with the state of title transfer on the day of transfer. This is how tolls are charged via License plate, and accidents are reported, etc. I always keep my plates when selling a vehicle, but I know some people do not keep their plates. Filing the notice is very important.

I'm trying to figure out the real risk of this scenario if something were to happen before the formal transfer occurs in the eyes of DMV and insurance.
Florida requires a Seller to file a Notice of Sale which removes your name from the vehicle so you aren't held liable for the vehicle, MH, vessel, etc. which will protect me in the event buyer has traffic violations, civil litigation, accident, etc with the coach. Of course, since I didn't get any information until after 5 pm EST Friday, I was not able to file the Notice before the buyer drove off. I'm still working on trying to get it to them electronically, but meanwhile have mailed it. I also canceled my insurance policy after signing the Settlement Statement.

The buyer has 30 days in most cases to add insurance.
If you call an insurance company and say you need insurance because you had an accident in the new vehicle you want insured...moral is, how would you get insurance after an incident? Are insurance companies obligated to insure you? Seems weird...

This has to go down as one of the most bizarre buying/selling transactions of all time. The only thing done correctly was the seller delivered the coach for consignment and from there it went to heck and back, multiple times.

Latest resources

Back