• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Resolved Dash A/C not blowing cold air

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Neal, does your Vantana have a side or rear radiator? Rear Radiator makes getting at the Accessory end of the engine more involved and difficult.

Neal, does your Vantana have a side or rear radiator? Rear Radiator makes getting at the Accessory end of the engine more involved and difficult.
Ventanas are rear radiator which makes typically simple tasks a job for a freightliner (or equivalent) shop. You can see the compressor from the chassis battery compartment (door side rear) but getting to it is another story. It‘s on the drivers side top of the motor would be accessed through the floor if one were so motivated. Hopefully in Neals case, the “fix” won’t involve the compressor.

Keep in mind @Rich W. you can raise the hinged wheel well doors and that could help with access. Been a long time since I did that for running Boogey light wires but it may be something to help. A few self tapping screws on the bottom are all that secure them.

My last compressor replacement was accomplished by a truck/car heater and AC repair place in Del City Oklahoma. Did a great job and was reasonable. A&H Auto Repair.

Neal, I've been dealing with this for 3 years and 3 different FTL dealers without success. They have evacuated and recharged the system and it works for a few weeks/months and then it starts blowing cool, not cold, once again. They've added the UV dye and can't find any leaks. I'm going to try a truck/auto ac place next. In the meantime, I'll use my roof air to supplement the dash air.

One of the challenges on Coach dash air can be the the long AC lines and the fact that you just can't see the entire run and some of the various connections are just not visible so the UV dye can be somewhat limited. At least in my case the Texas Truck AC folks isolated various portions of the system lines, and pulled a vacuum on the isolated portions to check for leaks. Once they found the portion that was leaking they then further isolated to find the specific leaking item. This may be standard AC leak detection troubleshooting but perhaps FL shops don't have the same approach as the AC specific shops.

Thanks all, I'll see if I can locate a truck/car A/C facility west of Charleston, WV as I head to the Huntington/Fox Fire KOA

I think the reason we had a compressor failure is because we didn't use it much. Mostly had the coach air running while on the road to make it easier on the units when we stopped by not having to bring the temp down all at once. We finished most of our trip without it that year.

Keep in mind @Rich W. you can raise the hinged wheel well doors and that could help with access. Been a long time since I did that for running Boogey light wires but it may be something to help. A few self tapping screws on the bottom are all that secure them.
Hinged wheel well doors must be a tag axle thing - I just have mud flaps to the rear of the rear wheels and exposed frame rails on the inside of them.

Kudos to Matheny Truck Group (formerly Allied) Kenova, WV

Arrived 10:30, coach picked up 12:30, service completed 2:30.

All systems check good, just needed refrigerant. Crazy cold again! Woohoo!

Lesson learned for me: If doing engine runs or drives while in storage, even if in the winter, run the A/C!

Latest resources

Back