• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DEF Head Failure

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Why? Because it might cost money to fix the problem and that can cut into corporate profits; something the bean-counters don’t like. I’m thinking that when a class-action suit is filed on behalf of Spartan-chassis motorhome owners, the bean-counters may find their cheap way out may be pretty expensive. Very expensive!!!

We’ve filed a complaint with NHTSA on this and I encourage others to do the same. “Drive it until it dies” is not the appropriate response to a potentially life-threatening part failure.

TJ
Actually, I have under good authority that they (Cummins, Spartan and others) have and are working quite hard to solve this issue.

Actually, I have under good authority that they (Cummins, Spartan and others) have and are working quite hard to solve this issue.
With all due respect, “working quite hard to solve this issue” and “drive it until it quits before you get a replacement part” are mutually exclusive.

I don’t mean to be terse, but this issue is one of the reasons our coach is parked for the duration. LadyDi and I have little desire to drive a 26-ton ticking time bomb.

TJ

With all due respect, “working quite hard to solve this issue” and “drive it until it quits before you get a replacement part” are mutually exclusive.

I don’t mean to be terse, but this issue is one of the reasons our coach is parked for the duration. LadyDi and I have little desire to drive a 26-ton ticking time bomb.

TJ
Well, that is your choice. As someone that is actually dealing with the issue, I would not cancel my trips on a "what if." As always, wishing ya'll well.

We’ll, I have an 8K mile trip planned starting next month. Hoping for the best. Hopefully Spartan will have spare before we have another DEF head failure. Better yet, hopefully we won’t have another failure.

We’ll, I have an 8K mile trip planned starting next month. Hoping for the best. Hopefully Spartan will have spare before we have another DEF head failure. Better yet, hopefully we won’t have another failure.
Spartan got a shipment today, but I don't know how many or if only for people on waiting list. Hopefully, you will have no issues. Safe travels. Look forward to running into you and Kathleen in the near future. ?

All - Interesting all the different "solutions and procedures" I think going to list known facts so we see a little perspective. Sorry to be long winded.
1. Spartan Chassis seem to have the DEF Head Problem more so than Freightliner based units.
2. Overseas Chip Problem supply seems to be reason parts not available. See "Chip Comments at the bottom.
3. It also seems spartan is not totally "on top of this problem" with different recommended process and or procedures to get to destination, et-al.
4. No idea when new DEF units available to repair broken MH's currently experiencing issues.

Owners of MH's and Diesel DEF Equipped Pickups are reporting that keeping DEF tank full seems to alleviate the problem some. Using clean fresh DEF Fluid is paramount. Some difference of opinion on Fuel Island DEF and getting the 2.5 gallon jugs, and don't remember seeing anyone specifically comment on one format or the other on which they used and if issue was from that source. I am assuming the quality of the DEF is not causing this issue, but an actual failure of the head unit itself because of either faulty engineering/design, note assuming!

Now that I know Freightliner has not had the issues as often I am relieved, and to be honest, we have only got 15,000 miles on our unit. Between taking care of house, and COVID all last year, and now some Doctor appts might not get a lot of use this summer. Regardless, I personally fill the DEF tank not every stop, but at least the stop before we are heading home, and once home I top her off so crystals do not form in tank. On our maiden voyage, did get the low DEF warning and stopped at Walmart, picked up jug and put it in, then when at next stop topped of tank with another 2 jugs. Got home and kept tank filled. Realize, storage of DEF is also a consideration, over I think 85-90 degrees F, DEF has 6 months shelf life, below 60 F, DEF can last 18 months. For my piece of mind, keeping tank full at home and then topping off on return keep my stress level down. Air causes crystals to form, crystals are bad to have, enough and system might be plugged up period.

Chips, sort of know some about them, because used to own computer company and built custom PC's for clients, worked Client Support in Company with 3000 employees, so we saw or I experienced many, many iterations of chip development using Intel based products. Intel I know is making chips for the automotive industry, cell phones, and other consumer electronics outside of personal computers/servers. Big article on it back in December, about chip shortage, and how the "older chips" were what was driving the shortage. So here is how this works, a company will design a (example) "collision avoidance system" for a manufacturer(s), they will design this device around an existing CHIP, and they will not pay for the latest and greatest chip, because a top of the line server processor is way overkill for a simple CAS system. FWIW-Intel is still making and marketing the last iteration of the Pentium IV chip for the automotive industry, simply because that chip can and does do, all the things necessary for a car subsystem being installed. It takes many millions of dollars to build a chip FAB facility, it's not real cost effective to gut that facility out, and retool for a newer processor with a smaller die design, so they try to find markets for the chips in the old plant for as long as possible. For years, all Intel processors came from a FAB in the Philippines, going to assume that plant is still cranking them out. I know Taiwan, and many locations in SE Asia chips are manufactured. NOT all chips will work for DEF head issues, like I mentioned, the "parts and pieces" for the DEF head unit are designed around a specific chip, no substitute would fix issue, and so either wait for chip, or redesign new head unit, again, around an existing CHIP which will do the job. It's not only the Chip plant in Japan, more so in my opinion is the whole supply chain was just flat broken with COVID and all the lockdowns/shutdowns of whole states (unnecessary-shutdowns proven not to make any difference in infections), add to that the massive truck driver shortage, west coast ports closed for several months, and the workers kept from unloading the thousands of ships sitting in LA and SFO bays (among many west coast ports) for unloading. Now, containers are stuck all over USA, awaiting truck drivers to get them back to west coast ports, so can be loaded on ships, taken back to Asia, and reloaded. Again, truck driver shortage of at least 200,000 drivers. Whole fleets of trucks cannot move, no drivers to move them, fuel shortages, no tanker truck drivers to move fuel. That alone is a nation wide issue. Now you are truck driver, long hours, semi-crappy pay, and government pony's up with unemployment and then sweetens deal with another 300 a week, hmmm, I make more sitting on butt, than driving truck. Those drivers are taking the free money and sitting on their butt. Only when the government realizes, don't pay people to sit on butt, make them work, will all the jobs needing done will be filled. But, lots of problems with supply chain and those will exist for at least another 3-6-9 months, at a minimum. Now thank you Biden, for trying to stop fracking in Federal Lands and canceling the Keystone, since Canada said, that oil is going to be moved, we will use trucks and rail. Moving Oil, (either method) is a real high profit deal, much more so than moving a bunch or chips/crackers/stuff from a port on the west coast to anyplace. The oil is a pure almost 100 percent money maker, those truck are being re-tasked to move that oil.

Check your local grocery store, and take note of all the holes in the shelves for products which are not in stock, and in some cases, like chips, aint got clue on when in stock. Welcome to the new USA. Welcome to the new, i.e., still being worked out distribution model, where before it was almost 30 days inventory supply or less, now companies are placing orders for 90 days out or longer, increasing, the already limited truck delivery system. Tonight, on news, food prices going up, so food wholesalers are buying massive amounts of items before the price increase hits them, all those items will have to be stored and ultimately moved, yep you guess it, a limited amount of truck haul space, competing with everything else. The backlogs won't end soon, maybe by mid 2022. If you like a certain "thing" if it was me, keep extra supply someplace you can get to it, for me it's coffee, we have a 6 months supply, we open new can, a new one goes on the Costco list.

8k! Are you taking the Mountain Aire to Hawaii??

Good luck on trip. WSJ Reported on food prices this am in article in NP. Want to go to NE to see leave change color, may still do it, if can talk BH into being gone that long.

Latest resources

Back