• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DEF Head Failure

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Spartan uses a DEF tank/head from Shaw Development. Freightliner uses a different DEF system and there hasn't been much information made available about it. I had read that it was a DEF system made available from their parent company (Daimler). It does appear accurate that Spartan has had many more failures than Freightliner.

There are various work around being discussed / developed, none to my knowledge by Spartan or Shaw.
Thanks. Just looked at the Shaw site. Definitely looks different than the system used on FreightLiners.

Since 2012 I have had DEF on freightliner with a 450isl. I have never kept my def full on purpose, and routinely run it to the red light flashing. When filling it, often the def tank is empty. Never have had an error code, derate, or any other problem.

I have operated under the belief that a old def fluid is the worst thing to have. I try to store my tanks as close to empty as possible, and then add fresh def when needed at next fuel stop.

I have done the same with my chevrolet truck.

You will get a 250 mile warning on derate due to empty def. That's the refill counter I go off of.

Exactly my belief @redbaron hence this thread as well:

Too much paranoia in running full all the time when in fact you could be doing more harm than good. My understanding with FL is you can drive 1,000 miles after DEF empty without a derate. Once you turn off the engine you're done. So if you go empty then next stop is a location with DEF for refill.

Since 2012 I have had DEF on freightliner with a 450isl. I have never kept my def full on purpose, and routinely run it to the red light flashing. When filling it, often the def tank is empty. Never have had an error code, derate, or any other problem.

I have operated under the belief that a old def fluid is the worst thing to have. I try to store my tanks as close to empty as possible, and then add fresh def when needed at next fuel stop.

I have done the same with my chevrolet truck.

You will get a 250 mile warning on derate due to empty def. That's the refill counter I go off of.
Well I know I am going to jinx myself but since my experience with the F550 I always run with the tank topped off. So far no DEF related problems. Sensor technology has changed since the early days of DEF. But this stuff sure likes to crystalize when exposed to air.

That post tells the story. Sounds like Shaw has a problem.
Supposedly it's been a problem for a number of years, the overseas chip shortage caught up with them it seems now making it more visible due to the shortage and crisis.

After the red def flashes, I don't turn off engine until filling. At that point it is 250 miles. Prior notices include def is low with amber solid def is empty with solid red. Those are safe to turn off and on. I have verified empty on gauge is empty on tank.

Supposedly it's been a problem for a number of years, the overseas chip shortage caught up with them it seems now making it more visible due to the shortage and crisis.
Interesting fact that the automotive chip shortage problem is almost exclusively limited to 40nm chips and larger. 40nm chips were state of the art 2007 and before. The problem is that nobody wants to invest in new capacity for 40nm chips. Interesting graphic from TMSC.

I had interesting situation (warning) recently going from Southern California to Utah. After reaching the top of the long uphill grade out of Baker, with outside temperatures 108*, I got “low DEF concentration” message. Engine continued normally as I preceded to north Las Vegas for my planned fuel stop which was one exit north of NIRVC. Plan was fuel, top off DEF and call NIRVC or Spartan and ask if I should continue or get a diagnosis. I did not shutdown during fueling and added approximately 4gal of DEF.

Low and behold “low DEF concentration” warning went out. I decided there was no benefit looking for a diagnosis since I no longer had a fault. I have only traveled approx 200 miles with no faults. I am thinking that DEF fluid temperature may have something to due with the fault, adding fluid at the fuel stop may have reduced the fluid temp in the tank.

Latest resources

Back