• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Answered Delayed Waste Tank Dump

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I had not thought about overloading a septic system. Hmmmmm. Good point., @RKins!

Dumping 100+ gallons of black and gray water into a septic system in a short time period might cause the raw sewage to overflow from the primary septic tank section to the secondary side and then flow out, undigested, into the drain field. Ordinarily, the septic system would receive a gallon or two per flush or sink drain. It digests in the primary tank section and then relatively clear liquid flows over the baffle and into the secondary section that feeds the drain field.

Short-circuiting the digesting process with a large quantity of sewage in a short period of time could, indeed, be a problem. That's causing me to reevaluate my plan to put a in sewer connection for the coach because we are on a septic system. Gotta think about that!

TJ
Yup, that is how the last home we owned worked. Not sure if you can adapt your current system for an RV dump. Maybe dump the grey on the lawn, vegetation, wherever you need the watering and only the 50 gals of black, which will be mostly water, into the septic tank.
The previous home we had was on a municipal septic tank system that the liquid overflow was pumped out to the municipal system instead of a leech/drain field. I'm not sure the size of the black/septic tank though but I was there when they pumped it out - 50 gals? Not sure but not much if any bigger for sure. It was a municipal septic system, meaning that if we saw water backing up into the shower, it was time to call them and they would pump out the tank. It's the only time I've seen that kind of system, most people can't comprehend it.
Can you create a separate septic system for the RV?

Last edited:
Thanks for the discussion. I’ll advise when I get a chance to dump.
On April 6, I had to leave the black tank undumped. So, I filled it to full and had to leave it since no place to dump. Finally on June 20 I was able to dump. that's 75 days of dormancy. I had to go to a Cabela's on a route I was taking. Not my first choice, but I was able to get in to it and connect to dump. Unfortunately, no water. So I could not rinse, only empty the tanks. Thanks Cabela. Dangit.
We got to our first campsite and shortly after, the tank got to 1/3 sooner than it should have. I presume that some solids were still on the bottom of the tank. I let the tank fill up to 2/3. Then, I connected the tank rinse and filled it the rest of the way to full. The effluent was more colored than what our previous days use would have indicated, confirming my belief that the solids fell out of suspension during the 75 days of rest and did not get too stirred up during the 100 miles to the dump station.
I continued rinsing the tank and letting a few gallons accumulate before dumping. I did that 3 times. I then filled the tank full from the rinser. Upon release, all effluent was about as clear as the water that went in. Yay!

If cascade can get the "effluent" off my dishes I assume it can do well in the ole dark tank so I do add it from time to time. Glad you have the bowels of your coach cleaned once again! Okay, that didn't "come out" right! Okay, still not sounding right! The end.

@Neal gave you good advice. We use Dawn, but Cascade or any other dish soap should work as well.

One tip: when you head out, make sure the black tank is about 1/3 full and add some dish soap. The sloshing action in the tank, plus the effect of the dish soap, will clean your tank well. At your next destination, dump the tank soon after you arrive and do a rinse. That should leave your tank clean.

TJ

Last edited:
@Neal gave you good advice. We use Dawn, but Cascade or any other dish soap should work as well.

One tip: when you head out, make sure the black tank is about 1/3 full and add some dish soap. The sloshing action in the tank, plus the effect of the dish soap, will clean your tank well. At your next destination, dump the tank soon after you arrive and do a rinse. That should leave your tank clean.

TJ

Thank you both. Now for the specifics. 45 gallon tank. 1/3 is 15 gallons. Please define “some” dish soap. It seems like “some” would be 10, maybe 15, or possibly 20 ounces in 15 gallons?

Thank you both. Now for the specifics. 45 gallon tank. 1/3 is 15 gallons. Please define “some” dish soap. It seems like “some” would be 10, maybe 15, or possibly 20 ounces in 15 gallons?
Oh, I think that's way too much! We use about 3-4 of the squirts we would use to do a sink full of dishes. That seems to be plenty. A little goes a long way.

TJ

I use dish soap at times too but I think cascade is going to be the more effective cleanser based on how it works in the dish washer. I'd be hesitant of having bubbles coming out my toilets with too much dish soap :LOL:

For cascade, I put in about 2X what I use in a dish washer, not excessive. There are also companies that can do a high pressure cleaning via the coaches bum, i.e. valterra wye valve but I am not a fan of high pressure anything inside tanks, etc. But if you're concerned that's an option. I think it will take care of itself over time, I wouldn't stress it.

You could always call a Septic System servicer and get them to drain the tank. This is commonly referred to as a Honey Bucket service. Or if your home has a waste line clean out fitting, typically a white cap in the ground on top of the sewer line you could dump there. Here is a Blog with some info. Can I Dump RV Tanks at Home? – RVBlogger.

I have used up to 1/2 cup of Dawn. No suds coming out of anywhere.However, even that is likely too much. At that level it also dissolves the lubricant on the seals and the valve begins to stick. I now but a few squirts in every dew days while using the tank. Just enough to help dissolve the solids.

I do as Neal suggested when leaving the campground.

Latest resources

Back