• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Diesel Prices Are Going Up Really Fast

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
$6.80 here yesterday in lovely Ca. Among other things this precludes travel, and thus tourism, in this state for me. I have enough in the tank to get to Nevada where it doesn't have the extra $1.80 Ca tax grab.

An effort to repeal or lower gas taxes here, even temporarily, was quickly defeated in favor some trivial rebate that wouldn't buy me 1/2 a tank and I will never see anyway.

So no worries - tank up in Nevada or Oregon on my way home so I can get back out of state on my next trip, and reject Ca tourism. At least any other fuel taxes and my travel related sales tax will go elsewhere.

If one believes much of this price hike is intentional (to encourage electric car ownership), then this will interest you. Today California announced statewide shortages of electricity. Cautioned that rolling brownouts will be the norm throughout the coming summer months. All this while they are shutting down our only remaining nuclear power plant (Diablo Canyon) which provides between 10-15 percent of our power. So what happens when you can't charge your electric car ? I'm thinking you have to hook it up to a gas burning generator...another head scratcher 😉

I had to read that twice. So if I understand it correctly, the oil companies are raising the price of gasoline to encourage people to switch to electric vehicles???? That seems counter productive to the interests of the oil companies and their share holders.

Yes...Californians are asked not to charge their electric cars between the hours of 4:00pm to 9:00pm (high peak hours) Or run air conditioners or wash your clothes...
Ok. We saw this when we had a property there. They are not saying not to charge, they are asking people to charge at off peak times. We were actually on a time of use plan so we did this anyway. Our car timer was set for 1 AM and it was usually done by 3 AM. Makes sense. Saved a little money too.

I am for all forms of energy BUT don't price me out of my chosen fuel. Seem's like thats the only way they will be able to force us into all electric even with the known shortages associated with it.

I am for all forms of energy BUT don't price me out of my chosen fuel. Seem's like thats the only way they will be able to force us into all electric even with the known shortages associated with it.
Again though, the oil companies are setting the price. It doesn’t seem in their or their shareholders interest to force people to electric.

I had to read that twice. So if I understand it correctly, the oil companies are raising the price of gasoline to encourage people to switch to electric vehicles???? That seems counter productive to the interests of the oil companies and their share holders.

Sadly, if it were that simple there wouldn't be a problem. The Oil Companies are not the price setters...anymore than ranchers set the price for their beef or fishermen set the high price of seafood. Ranchers raise beef, fishermen catch fish and oil companies explore and drill for oil. Although supply and demand generally determines price, many other factors contribute. When a government discourages the exploration and drilling of carbon resources, the supply is affected. Under Trump we encouraged exploration and drilling; now it's the exact opposite. Instead of selling oil and natural gas we import it from other sources that set the price. (that is, we pay more)
Again though, the oil companies are setting the price. It doesn’t seem in their or their shareholders interest to force people to electric.

Just to address your comment about oil companies raising prices to encourage electric cars, I'm certain you said that in jest. What our oil companies are looking (and hoping) for is an indication from our administration that the USA would like to become energy independent once more. If that doesn't happen then it's going to be tough on us RV'ers. But on my original point...California will not be able to provide adequate electricity for all it's needs beginning this summer...time will tell if I'm right...or wrong 😉 And that includes electric cars...

Just spent 4 days wine tasting in Paso Robles California. Fueled up at 6.59/gal. Costly Bottle of wine!!!!

Latest resources

Back