• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DPF Forced Regen Tools - What works and What does not

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Today I performed the forced regen using this tool. I wanted to wait a few legs of the trip not only to be sure I was in a place to get help but also to see if the soot level would show something of concern other than "normal" as others have seen as I had the clogged DPF filter in Breckenridge, CO on September 5th (Labor Day). I have plugged in the tool to poke around a few stops ago but figured I should see that the forced regen worked and any ramifications while in a good place.

I don't know the exact procedure but I did read that the key should be off before disconnecting the tool. I plugged in and then started the engine, let it idle a few minutes, then went to the DPF area. Pressed the key to start a forced regen and the idle RPM went to 1000. The process took an hour and 15 minutes so you better be sure your neighbors won't mind as it is annoying. We're not that close but it concerned me. At the start of the process the regen light came on as well indicating it was performing a regen. At completion all lights are out. I will restart later to see if there are any surprises. Can't say this was a feel good procedure, we all want things to just work and certainly don't want to cause problems. But I need to build confidence in this after the little bit of RV trauma when derated and stop engine situation but the goal is to avoid that again. I believe in my chassis and engine so hope never to see that issue again but I will perform a regen probably at the beginning or midway into a trip but don't really see doing this at an interval such as monthly, etc. We'll see. Here are a few screenshots but I'm happy that this tool worked as advertised. Thank you @Rich W. as this could save a tow, hopefully (knock on wood).

Prior to starting regen:

IMG_4460.JPG

regen started, not showing dosing yet

IMG_4461.JPG

now showing dosing

IMG_4462.JPG

completed 1:15 later

IMG_4463.JPG

Same process my unit went thur except I had a MIL indictor after it finished. Over 3 or 4 days I restarted the engine and let it run a few minutes each time. It didn't go away so I cleared it using the tool. It hasn't reappeared thus far. Headed out next week on a trip and will see if it returns.

That all looks good Neal. The one thing I’d advise is that you let it warm up to normal operating temp before initiating a regen. The standard is 160° but I let it come up to 180° or so. Its going to get there anyway but I’ve read and been told 160° is the min. Also I see you are still in metric units. That’s fine if it works for you but I like °F since that‘s how my temp gauge and LBCU display it. Those screens show that it was not dosing until the third shot at ~82°C (~180°F). During the first two it was still warming up.

Having control of the regen procedure is in my opinion essential, and you proved that the shorting plug method is pretty much useless, both if it isn't in enough need to turn on the DPF light or if you are already derated. I guess there is a short window where it might be helpful but having a tool like the DL Handheld puts control and thus the schedule in your hands.

I didn't try the shorting plug AFTER my issue was resolved, I don't think. The stop engine light may have been blocking that. I guess I should try that next and see if I can force a regen with the shorting plug while everything is clear. I guess though I'd still want to keep this tool to clear codes if I needed to. The $600 is a tough pill to swallow but I sure don't want to get towed if I can help it.

As I said long time ago, it is nice to travel with Neal. He’s got everything 👍

As I said long time ago, it is nice to travel with Neal. He’s got everything 👍
I just got my new credit card reader for my iPhone. I believe in convenience :)

I talked to Diesel Laptops tech dept today. They took my input on a regen timer and more precise reading of soot level, didnt know what “normal” meant, said my ABS light coming on during regens was common, and advised me to download the most recent firmware update.

I might try again tomorrow - the quality of info probably depends on who answers the phone. Last time it was very helpful and informative.

Engine run today - no lights, bells, whistles, alarms. Whew!

I talked to Diesel Laptops tech dept today. They took my input on a regen timer and more precise reading of soot level, didnt know what “normal” meant, said my ABS light coming on during regens was common, and advised me to download the most recent firmware update.

I might try again tomorrow - the quality of info probably depends on who answers the phone. Last time it was very helpful and informative.
I just updated firmware. No more abs errors. A timer would be great. I am very pleased with this tool.

Latest resources

Back