• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DPF Forced Regen Tools - What works and What does not

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For those of us that choose to get this tool, after you learn and validate it (do a regen) I suggest just monitor soot level. That's my plan. If anyone sees anything other than "normal" please speak up. I believe in letting the system manage itself but I don't want to get into the situation I was in again and in a remote area at that. It can be a great tool for monitoring. Hopefully we'll see even better info on soot levels with firmware updates.

Using bluefire, you can monitor PGN 64891

Soot is SPN 3719
Ash is SPN 3720

Using bluefire, you can monitor PGN 64891

Soot is SPN 3719
Ash is SPN 3720
I can see where I can monitor the soot and ash percentages in the AfterTreatment Data under Drive, but can't figure out how to monitor PGN 64891. I thought SPN 3719 was a fault code for high soot level. Help please.

I can see where I can monitor the soot and ash percentages in the AfterTreatment Data under Drive, but can't figure out how to monitor PGN 64891. I thought SPN 3719 was a fault code for high soot level. Help please.
Your method is better!!! Holy cow @ARD ... i feel dumb for the method I was using.

Your method is better!!! Holy cow @ARD ... i feel dumb for the method I was using.
Well I still don’t know how you were doing what you were doing but I’m guessing that’s ok? 😊

I’m not sure I understand the question, but it seems like you are getting further down in the weeds than necessary. Maybe I’m missing something here.

PGN stands for Parameter Group Number and includes several SPNs (Suspect Parameter Number) in that group (see example below). In the example, the SPNs relate to various engine temp measurements. PNG 64891 covers several SPNs relating to the DPF.

So while SPN 3719 would be important to address, the PGN that it falls under doesn’t provide any specific information. Its just a grouping used for data transmission.

SPN 3719 (Neal, this helps answer the % soot load question):
Aftertreatment 1 Diesel Particulate Filter Soot Load PercentIndicates the soot load percent of diesel particulate filter 1. 100% is the level at which active diesel particulate filter regeneration should be triggered.100% level is the active regeneration trigger level (and if conditions are not favorable for regeneration, soot loading can continue beyond 100%). During normal operation and regeneration a value 0% will indicate a fully regenerated diesel particulate filter. Values of 25%, 50% and 75% will indicate the general level of soot prior to the 100% level where an active regeneration is needed.

Does this clear things up or am I missing something?

AB988A43-D640-4E11-9E82-A62126048F20.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand the question, but it seems like you are getting further down in the weeds than necessary. Maybe I’m missing something here.
My question was with regards to @redbaron’s post on how he was monitoring soot and ash levels with his BlueFire, as I was accessing the information differently. It’s moot now, but thanks for the additional information. That is always helpful.

My question was with regards to @redbaron’s post on how he was monitoring soot and ash levels with his BlueFire, as I was accessing the information differently. It’s moot now, but thanks for the additional information. That is always helpful.
Under advanced settings there is a monitor where you can input the pgn and see data raw.

Settings->system->advanced functions

Screenshot_20221005-071550.jpg

PGN stands for Parameter Group Number and includes several SPNs (Suspect Parameter Number) in that group (see example below). In the example, the SPNs relate to various engine temp measurements. PNG 64891 covers several SPNs relating to the DPF.

So while SPN 3719 would be important to address, the PGN that it falls under doesn’t provide any specific information. Its just a grouping used for data transmission.

SPN 3719 (Neal, this helps answer the % soot load question):
Aftertreatment 1 Diesel Particulate Filter Soot Load PercentIndicates the soot load percent of diesel particulate filter 1. 100% is the level at which active diesel particulate filter regeneration should be triggered.100% level is the active regeneration trigger level (and if conditions are not favorable for regeneration, soot loading can continue beyond 100%). During normal operation and regeneration a value 0% will indicate a fully regenerated diesel particulate filter. Values of 25%, 50% and 75% will indicate the general level of soot prior to the 100% level where an active regeneration is needed.

Does this clear things up or am I missing something?

View attachment 14890
Rich: what reference do you use for SPN and PGN mapping / lookup? I spend too much time scouring a variety of sources and want to obtain a better solution.

Rich: what reference do you use for SPN and PGN mapping / lookup? I spend too much time scouring a variety of sources and want to obtain a better solution.
That description of 3719 was from this SPN table: https://www.xee.com/fr/spn-list/
I have several that I go to depending. I haven’t found any PNG lookup tables - just exhausting descriptions of how they are used which I find interesting but not useful for my purposes since I don’t have any devices that use them.

Latest resources

Back