• Commercial/Vendors welcome

DPF Forced Regen Tools - What works and What does not

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Hi Rich, in a different older post on this site you mention this device but say it does not have the capability to clear codes, can you confirm that it now does with the updated software version??
There is an update to the app that I didn’t know about (or it didnt exist then). I found out about while it on this round of DPF related discussion. However I dont have any codes to clear, and I couldnt get it to initiate a forced regen, so Im not certain about the commands.

They are there in the new version of the app, but since the regen one didnt work for me, and I cant test the code clearing part (I suppose I could cause some codes but Im kind of superstious about all this), I cant say if it does or not.

I can say that their customer service/tech support is top notch and these folks are leaders in the industry, so my advice would be to wait until I can post an update early next week, hopefully Monday. They have tech support on Saturday so it might be sooner. I have become an ad-hoc beta tester on this (they want to know why it didnt regen as well) as of earlier today, so stay tuned.

Thanks for the reply, and thanks again for working on this and sharing your results. I found a diesel decoder on amazon from one of their resellers, and ordered it as a just In case it will work. If not, back it goes. My Nexas device is still in transit, but I cant check out either until i get the coach back. Hopefully one of them will clear codes and force regen as advertised on my specific rig. Looking forward to getting back on the road!

Ronnie,

Assuming you mean the X15 (the ISX is a different model), have you considered the PDI Tuner? Many Newells are running the ISX and X15 with the tuner which includes a force REGEN function; along with so much more.

Of course, the PDI tuner is over $2k, so maybe this isn’t what you want…but you’d sure love it.

Diesel Decoder update
Diesel Decoder Mobile Diagnostic Tool with DPF Regens for Apple & Android
Did a forced (parked, manual) regen with this today. It does work, it just takes some time before it initiates. Also I bought mine almost a year ago when they didn’t perform commands, and all I had to do was update the app and be patient (I struggle with this) to now do regens with it.

With OTR it’s almost immediate so thats what I was expecting. But today I initiated the command, left it running, and walked away. I got involved in some other stuff in the garage and about 5 minites later heard the RPM go up and sure enough it was in regen.

So yes it works as claimed. Also generates comprehensive reports that you can email easily to anyone, reads and clears codes, and displays EVERYTHING in live data. OTR displays a handful of parameters considered necessary. This unit displays everything the ECM sees. TMI really but its interesting.

So there you have it - $350 for a device that does what it claims and displays everything on your smart device. I use my ipad because I like a bigger format.

The only thing OTR has that this doesn’t is the After Treatment Re-set, as I discussed earlier. OTR is a bit more advanced, but the Diesel Decoder is more than adequate for RV owners. OTR is more geared for truckers and fleet owners/managers.

So I can recommend the Diesel Decoder and if you watch the website (Handheld) you’ll occasionally find used items at a reduced cost. They had these used for $250 a couple days ago. I got one of these Diesel Laptops Handheld Heavy-Duty Scan Tool with Regen for $299 three days ago. Still hasn’t arrived so no review yet.

Cheers!

PS: Neal, I’m going to talk to tech suppoort at Diesel Laptops on Monday and I’ll try to get your phase/% question answered then.

Last edited:
Following too ...

I just spoke with Diesel Laptops tech support again, and Neal he said he didn’t know about a coorelation between DPF soot load phases and % - said he is more an IT support guy. So that one is still unanswered.

But he confirmed that both the Diesel Decoder and the Hand Held HD scan tool do essentially the same thing: read and clear codes, and perform regens. Since I don't have any codes to clear (and don’t feel like causing any) I wanted to confirm that.

He also said that neither have the after treatment re-set function as OTR does, but as I mentioned earlier, most of us will never need that, especially if we are diligent about performing preemptive regens.

Both have extensive code libraries, the Diesel Decoder being easier to read because it uses an app on your favorite smart device, and the Handheld scanner having the advantage of being plugged directly in to your j1939 port so not dependent on a smart device. I like having both.

Also Diesel Laptops tech support is open until 9pm Eastern time.

My main goal is to not get into a service situation and finding a mobile tech type thing. I want to stay ahead of this and keep my DPF clean and do regens proactively if possible. When I'm near or at Gaffney I'll be attempting one via the shorting plug with no light (regen) and see if I can get it to do a regen. Continuing to monitor this thread for tool suggestions for allowing us to do proactive preventative regens.

If I have been following this thread correctly, Rich, you now have 3 devices that essentially do the same things - OTR and two Diesel Laptops devices. If ease of use, and available functions are best with the OTR unit, wouldn’t that be the unit of choice if you can stomach the $800 price tag? Are there any other reasons to pick one of the Diesel Laptops instead of OTR?

I the a 2016 Ventana and have looked under the dash for the shorting plug. I have yet to find it so not sure it has one. Also purchased the Nexas NL102 Plus Heavy Duty Truck Scanner which came today. It will not perform the DPF regen. Shows on the screen but will not work says function not supported... It does show codes, which I have none active and it works on my Gladiator

I the a 2016 Ventana and have looked under the dash for the shorting plug. I have yet to find it so not sure it has one. Also purchased the Nexas NL102 Plus Heavy Duty Truck Scanner which came today. It will not perform the DPF regen. Shows on the screen but will not work says function not supported... It does show codes, which I have none active and it works on my Gladiator
Is there a white plug/connector below the OBD port? White plug with red lock below is the shorting plug. Separate and then reconnect per the procedure outlined in my Broke down thread.

IMG_4297.png

Latest resources

Back