Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
Just stopped for night and first noticed a washer laying on top of equalizer pad. Then, when trying to reach it, I found this wire hanging loose just inside driver side wheel well behind front tire.

20230720_193728.jpg
20230720_193701.jpg

The washer is 'likely' the seal covering the base of the leveling jack cylinder. You can view the passenger side jack and see how it is mounted and remount the seal back to the base of the cylinder. Make sure you clean the seal and the base completely. If that 'washer' is in fact the seal, you mightwant this corrected before dirt finds its way inside the cylinder.

As to the wires, I am not sure aboutVTDPs, but there should be a light right around the wheel well. That light would be for the side turn signal. Try your left turn signal and see if it works. If it doesn't, that should cover your question.

Yep, just got over with a flashlight. It's from the blinker\marker light near wheel well.

On the washer, this is a proper metal washer, maybe 1 to 1 1\2" in size. Looked up at the suspension I could see, including shock, and all looks attached.

Now in addition to metal washer, at base of cylinder on both front jacks looks like black rubber\foam washer had fallen to bottom of Jack where it attaches to pad. So, I need to reinstall. Do they just push up and fit with friction?

How should I clean jacks? Dry rag? wet rag? Done kind of oil?

Damn!!! I was wondering where that washer went when I dropped it!!!

If you lost a seal on that ram, you would have a gusher. That 'o' ring likely protects the seal should the ram fully retract (kinda like a bumper).

I like the theory the wire is from a turn lite. Notice the butt connectors? That would likely mean the wires were pulled from the fixture, so look for a hole inside wheel well leading from the lite on the outside.

I was able to confirm it's from the light, because I looked under the other wheel well, so that's definitely the wire.

Only question now is whether that washer is something I picked up, or fell from above. In visible site, I see nothing loose.

Yep, just got over with a flashlight. It's from the blinker\marker light near wheel well.

On the washer, this is a proper metal washer, maybe 1 to 1 1\2" in size. Looked up at the suspension I could see, including shock, and all looks attached.

Now in addition to metal washer, at base of cylinder on both front jacks looks like black rubber\foam washer had fallen to bottom of Jack where it attaches to pad. So, I need to reinstall. Do they just push up and fit with friction?

I like microfiber rags. When you wipe it, you are simply dusting the ram. The film of hydraulic oil lubricates the surface as a benefit for a longer life.

No surprise on the wires - yellow and white are good “indicators” of turn signal wiring. That washer may be something you picked up along the road. That jack is right behind the wheel so entirely possible, but its worth further inspection to make sure.

As to cleaning and lubing jacks, this is what the tech at HWH recommended:
C5F21BCC-068B-48F2-A9BD-4CD25EFF1028.jpeg

Taking a closer look, that washer is (was) painted “equipment yellow“ and nothing on your chassis is that color, so I’d say it’s a hitchhiker. I think I’ve seen other posts about weird stuff ending up riding on the jack pads.

just as an fyi, that light is just a blinker and not a marker light. marker lights are red and are placed by the rear wheel well only on these units.

Sorry, I was referring to the black seal. it was late and I missed the metal washer!!.. the metal one could be a hitchhiker. but it wouldn't hurt to inspect under the chassis for a possible bolt failure and the washer remaining on the pad.
I have not worked on the hwh version, but on a previous coach those seals would screw into the base of the cylinder. There was a seal for the cylinder fluid and the outside one is to keep the dirt going up with the shaft. I would inspect the rear hwh jack and see how they are secured.

The spray listed above or even WD40. hwh used to recommend wd as well. I used wd40 if the unit was on jacks for more than a couple weeks before retracting the jacks.

Last edited:
No surprise on the wires - yellow and white are good “indicators” of turn signal wiring. That washer may be something you picked up along the road. That jack is right behind the wheel so entirely possible, but its worth further inspection to make sure.

As to cleaning and lubing jacks, this is what the tech at HWH recommended:
View attachment 19735

Taking a closer look, that washer is (was) painted “equipment yellow“ and nothing on your chassis is that color, so I’d say it’s a hitchhiker. I think I’ve seen other posts about weird stuff ending up riding on the jack pads.
Rich,
I have been using Boeshield for over 30 years. It contains wax, that will attract and accumulate dust particles. The wax film is what makes it “protectant”.
I know it was recommended by a technician, but I’m skeptical about being a good thing to use on the jack shafts?

Well that’s what I was told. I think if you wipe them down periodically you can avoid any issues. Do you think a silicone based lube would be better? It was one of these guys that recommended it:
E1E0BB45-0151-4249-87C0-2659751F5D72.jpeg

Latest resources

Back