• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Fuel cap stuck

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Did you try the opposite side? If you can get it off on the other side, that might relieve internal pressure.

Wait. Are we still talking about fuel caps?

View attachment 9170Anyone know any tricks to getting a stuck fuel cap off? Standard issue Stant fuel cap. I believe there is a mechanical issue with it as it will turn counterclockwise but it won’t turn the threaded barrel. I can tell it is engaging the catch mechanism, but it turns right through it.
Don't feel bad! I have exactly the same problem. Same Stant fuel cap. I only tightened it to the "Click". I think I may have to remove the fuel tank neck and drive it out. Please let me know what you did when you get yours off!!

Are these caps vented? Or contain pressure to avoid venting to atmosphere? Has anyone dissected a failed cap to see what's going on inside?

Last edited:
I recently posted with the same issue, what I found is that Newmar painted the filler neck after it was installed allowing paint on the sealing surface that was causing my cap to stick. I’m happy to report that after cleaning the paint off the sticking issue is resolved.
As far as removing the stuck cap, push in on the cap as hard as you can while rotating counter clockwise, be patient and hold the counterclockwise torque on the cap while pushing it in.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back