RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
2A159E28-6C49-450A-A410-AA585876F4F1.jpeg
Anyone know any tricks to getting a stuck fuel cap off? Standard issue Stant fuel cap. I believe there is a mechanical issue with it as it will turn counterclockwise but it won’t turn the threaded barrel. I can tell it is engaging the catch mechanism, but it turns right through it.

Try pushing on it very firmly. It should come right off. Have new one handy before you remove it.

Thanks @Orrin. I have attempted that but it continues to mock me. I’m probably going to have to go el destructo before it’s over.

I think @MapNerd has this problem IIRC? Be careful nothing gets down into the tank.

I sometimes have to push firmly - like really lean my body weight into it - and turn slowly when continuing to apply pressure.

I usually barely put the thing on now, only making sure it’s firmly seated and turning until I hear the very first click.

If I remember, when changing over to the locking ones. Ours from Mothership has a strap on them. Stick a flat bladed screwdriver into that space and the green part pops off. You then might be able to fix what ever is keeping it from turning, or be able to put a tool on it to remove. Again, be careful nothing goes into tank, and have spare before you take off. The locking ones work fine, sans not being able to put starp back on. Spacing is different.

Let us know how it works out.

Sounds like your issue is the ratchet mechanism is not engaging with the threaded cap screwed into the filler neck. So this may not help, I read where one gentleman made a simple spanner with a 1x2 and two bolts to fit. Said it gave him better leverage

I put my entire butt into the @MapNerd method, and all I have to show for it is a blown forehead vein.

I have a new cap inbound. When I get it, I’m going to rain hell on that stuck POS.

I put my entire butt into the @MapNerd method, and all I have to show for it is a blown forehead vein.

I have a new cap inbound. When I get it, I’m going to rain hell on that stuck POS.
Maybe you need @MapNerd ’s butt?

Latest resources

Back