• Commercial/Vendors welcome

garmin gps

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yeah, neither TruckMap or RVLife seem to do traffic-based re-routing, though they do both reroute based on route deviation (eg. you missed a turn). I think I actually know why this. Behind the scenes, TruckMap, RVLife and Sygic (forgot about that one) are all most likely using routing services from Esri/ArcGIS - which is one of the few that actually supports robust routing restrictions. Under the hood, it's the same data from HERE/NAVTEQ that Garmins use - Garmin just built their own routing services instead of using the ones from Esri/ArcGIS.

Garmin building their own routing service on top of that data allows them to tightly control their experience and cost. Whereas by using the Esri/ArcGIS routing services, you are subject to their cost model which is pay-by-the-route. So, if you have to pay n-dollars to Esri/ArcGIS for every route generated and then the user misses five turns and you have to reroute them 5 times, or they run into traffic 2 times and you have to reroute them, that multiplies the cost of a generating the route for a single trip by the number of times you had to re-route the user. At scale, that can really eat into your limited profits.

So there are certainly benefits to each.

I'm using the RV 890, but with backup from RV Life, Waze, and paper maps. Don't forget about paper maps!

We have a Garmin. Excellent but not perfect. We ended up in a gas station where it took 4 people to back us out of. Two worked for beer, one for bourbon.

I use a Garmin RV660 which I have had for a while. It has served me well.

A GPS unit showing me where the truck stops are for fuel wouldn't be much benefit for me anymore. I plan my fuel stops in advance for the next days travel based on the TSD app (Open Roads). Even with that I double check the prices in the morning because they change constantly.

Google maps and a couple others I use through carplay give me advance warning when traffic is slowing or stopping ahead. I can make a decision then, depending on how long the delay is indicated, on getting off for a possible detour or sticking with my original route. In about 80% of these cases on the interstate it has worked better just to stick it out on the original route, fuel wise and time wise.

Sometimes I wonder what happened to the people who asked me for directions. . . :)

Garmin GPS strikes again. Arriving at St Augustine RV Resort the GPS insisted to take us down a closed, dead end road. Leaving this morning the GPS tried the same bait.
This park has been revamped a number of years ago and closed off the old entrance.
GPS has not been updated since the new road was cut. A Real PITA at the end of a trip.
Luckily I was aware of the change from other research and did not take the bait.
Bad Garmin,,,🫵🏻

Garmin GPS strikes again. Arriving at St Augustine RV Resort the GPS insisted to take us down a closed, dead end road. Leaving this morning the GPS tried the same bait.
This park has been revamped a number of years ago and closed off the old entrance.
GPS has not been updated since the new road was cut. A Real PITA at the end of a trip.
Luckily I was aware of the change from other research and did not take the bait.
Bad Garmin,,,🫵🏻
Personally I would blame the lack of reporting on the person that closed the entrance! Maybe the other units out there have the same problem!

Bad Garmin,,,🫵🏻
1) Is the GPS paired to your phone for live traffic info and also road closures? It will offer re-routes as needed. You need to have the Garmin Drive app installed

2) Make sure to read campground instructions as some will tell you not to follow the GPS as it will take you down the wrong path to enter the CG.

Bad Garmin,,,🫵🏻
You know the old saying. Trust but verify.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back