• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awning Mounts WRONG!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Newmar engineering has come up with a working solution. This involves a C-Channel that will run between the Center and Front mounts, giving a mid-span point to anchor the awning where the center arm is.

Actually from a structural perspective this is a pretty logical solution. If I am reading correctly, they will add a C channel which is anchored to the front and middle bracket. Then the awning's middle arm position will be anchored to the C channel. Assuming the C channel is adequately stiff and the connection to the roof brackets is also adequately stiff, it will transfer the torsion to the two roof anchor points and the net effect will essentially be no different than if there was a correctly anchored to the roof at the arm position.

Here is a picture of the fix applied to my coach. The C-channel is a heavy gauge steel not aluminum (they tried aluminum but there was too much flex). At 79” from leading edge of the awning where the support needs to be on an 18’ awning, Newmar installed an aluminum support plate between the C-channel and the back of the awning. The back of the awning is then bolted through the aluminum plate to the steel C-channel that runs from the forward bracket to the center bracket. So as that arm shoulder pushed back as it extends, it will push against that aluminum plate which will push against the steel C-channel and judging by the gauge of that steel, it shouldn’t budge an inch.

Will check in on Tuesday to get an update on where talks are with Girard signing off on it but to me, this is pretty solid and I don’t see how Girard could have any complaints about it.

C624FFEA-0FAA-4F11-93FE-9A67FED833ED.jpeg

69BFDE47-F63C-4061-B512-0C00A043E9E8.jpeg

9E0E6FC7-7A2B-4757-812A-80253B1A0A9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good. Very impressed with the low cost fix that doesn't require cutting into roof.

Nice piece of engineering; clean, simple and effective. Well done, Newmar. And, "well done" to the folks who kept up the pressure on Newmar to get this problem solved. (y)

TJ

Hmmmm...
Ok John, looks like a strong solution. But please check something for me.

Since that channel is narrow and the top of that aluminum spacer plate isn’t secured to the awning housing, I want to make sure the housing still doesn’t warp.

I’m sure they tested it but am surprised they didn’t anchor the top of the spacer plate as will.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Hmmmm...
Ok John, looks like a strong solution. But please check something for me.

Since that channel is narrow and the top of that aluminum spacer plate isn’t secured to the awning housing, I want to make sure the housing still doesn’t warp.

I’m sure they tested it but am surprised they didn’t anchor the top of the spacer plate as will.

Thanks for posting the pics.
Happy to check. I'll be back with the coach on Tuesday morning when Newmar opens up again. How would you suggest I do so, just get on a ladder and extend it while I look down the side?

Yes John, exactly. Mine was quite obvious when sighting down the length.

Also, get up on the roof and do the same. When extended, you could see the housing warp AS WELL AS the mounts lifting up from the roof; check those too!

Went out there yesterday after getting back with my new F150.

No issues with bending/twisting/warping as far as I could tell. I put the awning out fully and watched from below on a ladder and again from above on the roof.

I’d accidentally left my phone behind at the Air BnB so I couldn’t get pictures or videos, otherwise I’d post em.

that said, as far as I know my brackets have never pulled up as as the awning extended and they still feel plenty solidly secured to the roof when I grab em and try to give em a wiggle.

hope that helps @CaptainGizmo

I am not sure if this is realted to bending / twisting of the housing, but my front awning makes a lot of screeching and moaning sounds as it moves in and out. The back one does not make near the sounds as the front does. Is this a maintenance issue, or sign of stress?

I am not sure if this is realted to bending / twisting of the housing, but my front awning makes a lot of screeching and moaning sounds as it moves in and out. The back one does not make near the sounds as the front does. Is this a maintenance issue, or sign of stress?
Mine also makes a bit of noise in the front. On mine, I believe it is coming from the extension arm as it moves down the track in the center of the awning. For me, it’s not been loud or jarring enough to do anything about her. Just the occasional momentary squeak. At some point, I’d planned to just get up there with a can of WD-40 and a microfiber cloth. Spray the cloth and wipe the interior of the track and give the extension arm a spritz where it is fastened into that track to see if it silences anything. Haven’t done it yet though.

Latest resources

Back