• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awning Mounts WRONG!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I don’t have a problem yet, I think. CaptainGizmo's original post showed how his awnings mounts were becoming separated from the roof. I’m guessing this is either due to lack of solid support under the roof, screws that were stripped and thus not holding, or due to excessive weight in the wrong place (ie., mount is attached to the roof in the right place).

Given that this is my first MH, I did not know if the dicor cracking was related to the awning issue, or as you suggest, merely based on age.

Given that the dicor cracks appear to be normal for the age, I have no problems at this time with the awnings other than the fact that the supports are not installed correctly which may lead to premature failure (per Girard). Additionally, I still need to sight down the length of the awnings to verify that there is no warping.

Now I get it. Is there any YouTube video showing how the unit is assembled? That may give some idea on how the roof structure is reinforced, etc. I cannot just believe that they screwed those brackets just to the fiberglass roof material, although it's 3/8" thick, that is still not enough to hold it, with all the transverse forces playing at the awnings all the time. Curious how this is worked out, since, as Newmar said, they followed Girard's instructions clearly to the letter, is Girard's changing their tune?

Turned coach over to Newmar this morning. My tech was seemingly unaware of the issue or its prevalence so I enlightened him. He will turn it over to his group lead, Jonas for remedy. Will be receiving daily email updates from my tech (he said first one should come tomorrow evening) which I will paste here verbatim regarding any updates on the girards. If I’ve heard nothing about them by Wednesday evening, I will call on Thursday.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the Newmar sani-con saga!

Curious, if the brackets are not separating from the roof, the cracking on the dicor is about normal for 3 years. It's recommended to replace the dicor at the 5 year point if lots of time has been spent in excessively warm climates, at least I did it on my last unit. I will do it on this one as well, just to be safe. I guess I don't understand the problem. I have the "other style" awning system.
Please read the original post #1 and you will be informed of the problem. This is not about aging Dicor; as you will see from the TITLE of this thread.

Let’s keep this very important alert and updates on track. Thank you.

I heard back from Newmar CS about the incorrectly installed brackets. Their response was:
  • Newmar is aware of the problem and “and Newmar is currently looking into this”.
  • “The issue will most likely not become a recall, but rather a technical service bulletin, thus Newmar would not have a list of customers to contact once they have a resolution”. I take this as the problem will only get addressed if owners contact Newmar and tell them they are aware of the problem and that they would like the issue resolved per the TSB.
  • The CS rep suggested I reach back out to them in a couple of months.

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 1, 2020:

Ok, here's the latest as of this morning...

Newmar engineering has come up with a working solution. This involves a C-Channel that will run between the Center and Front mounts, giving a mid-span point to anchor the awning where the center arm is.

They are currently securing parts, as well as developing "Instructional Documentation" to give to any repair facility.

This DOES leave me with a very big concern/question: How do we know whether the Support Plate is under the current bracket position, or if it was installed where the mount SHOULD HAVE BEEN!?

I've pitched this concern to Newmar, but frankly, the only TRUE way to find out, is to take the mount off and cut a hole in the roof. This will 100% tell you if there's a plate under the mount. I don't like that idea, but surely, if the roof patch is under a steel mount, I doubt anything would ever happen to that patch.

Currently, @MapNerd is at Newmar Service and is now in contact with the "informed" people, which took some doing to get all the players to talk.

Again, I think it's important to use the information I'm receiving, rather than hounding Newmar; it'll do nothing but slow them down. I promise to post whatever I hear, up until the "final word" has been given.

Last edited:
Let me ask, if the channel is on top of the brackets why worry if the coach has a mount under the roof? Aren't we really talking about making the awning strong enough rather than the coach?

Let me ask, if the channel is on top of the brackets why worry if the coach has a mount under the roof? Aren't we really talking about making the awning strong enough rather than the coach?
If there is no plate under the roof, welded or otherwise secured to the rafters, which are spaced at 16” - then what would the mounting bracket to which the awnings are secured, be secured to itself? The fiberglass roof? That would not be good.

Latest resources

Back