• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awning Mounts WRONG!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@flarider ... my brackets are located in the proper places, but I do have two (2) edge bolts that do not appear to grip anything like yours did. I am thinking about drilling new holes about 1" closer to the edge of the coach like Newmar indicated to you. Did you just use larger bolts in the current holes or did you drill new holes? Do you have any pictures of what you did?

FLSteve
I just used larger bolts. Let me know if you drill new holes for the bolts

Marc

@flarider ... my brackets are located in the proper places, but I do have two (2) edge bolts that do not appear to grip anything like yours did. I am thinking about drilling new holes about 1" closer to the edge of the coach like Newmar indicated to you. Did you just use larger bolts in the current holes or did you drill new holes? Do you have any pictures of what you did?

FLSteve
I had a couple screws that were stripped/not biting aluminum. I had to drill new holes and use the same size. I had to do this TWICE for one bracket which didn’t have any meat near the edge of the mount!

I had a couple screws that were stripped/not biting aluminum. I had to drill new holes and use the same size. I had to do this TWICE for one bracket which didn’t have any meat near the edge of the mount!
@CaptainGizmo ... about how far off the edge did you move in to drill the holes? I am referring to the edge closest to the center line of the coach. If you have a picture, that would sure help.

When you drill the new hole, do you just drill through the bracket ... or do you continue down below into the roof bracing as well?

FLSteve

@CaptainGizmo ... about how far off the edge did you move in to drill the holes? I am referring to the edge closest to the center line of the coach. If you have a picture, that would sure help.

When you drill the new hole, do you just drill through the bracket ... or do you continue down below into the roof bracing as well?

FLSteve
I’m sorry that I don’t have a picture fo you, but it’s not too hard to describe. On the furthest rear bracket, I had drilled right next to the one that was stripped. And, that new hole missed everything! So, I went diagonally “inland” at least an inch. I drill the pilot hole with the appropriate size drill to match the lag screw. Drill it just deep enough to go through the roof/plate member. Then, using a drill with the full diameter of the lag screw, drill out ONLY THE MOUNT.

Since these backing plates (or roof members) are aluminum, don’t torque these screws down like a gorilla.

HTH

I have a dealer appointment scheduled for March to get additional bracket(s) installed. I was sent the TSB, so I though I would share it here as I did not see it posted yet.

Attachments

• BLTN558T.pdf
    487.5 KB · Views: 30
It’s good to see the final TSB. However, I’m not sure why they cited only 20-21 models. I have a 2019 DS and was the initiator to this whole thing.

I’ll circle back to Newmar and find out.

I'm thinking that they are only advertising the fix for units that are currently under warranty. My CS rep stated that "Newmar would cover as a customer goodwill".

You may be right, but it seems more responsible to list ALL the coaches that may be affected. Especially for an issue that will cause damage and nullify the Girard warranty as well.

Given that the Girard warranty is only for 2 years, the older units that have this problem are no longer covered by the Girard warranty. Looks like the units listed in the TSB were all built in the last two years (oldest unit listed was built in January 2019).

So it looks like Newmar isn't considering this a structural issue being covered by their 5 year warranty.

NEWMAR LIMITED FIVE-YEAR STRUCTURAL WARRANTY​

If any part of your Newmar recreational vehicle superstructure (which is the steel / aluminum structure of the sidewall, roof or frame) fails to perform properly within five (5) years from the date of purchase because of faulty workmanship or material supplied by Newmar, it will be repaired without charge for either parts or labor by Newmar. This structural warranty is available only to the original purchaser and is non-transferable.

We are scheduled for repair at the factory in July. I will update at that point.

Latest resources

Back