• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Alert Girard Awning Mounts WRONG!!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I am not sure if this is realted to bending / twisting of the housing, but my front awning makes a lot of screeching and moaning sounds as it moves in and out. The back one does not make near the sounds as the front does. Is this a maintenance issue, or sign of stress?
Ronnie,

PERFECTLY NORMAL!! We addressed this at Girard and the tech showed me where to lube the rails.

The squeaking is caused by build up of dirt and will cause that creaking/binding sound. Clean or wash the rails and glides. Then, using a dry silicone spray, give the rails some love, as well as the knuckles.

Should be nice and quiet after that.

@MapNerd and @CaptainGizmo - Thank you for confirming my original suspicions. Prior to @CaptainGizmo posting about the issues with the awning, I was sure this was nothing more than maintenance. After his posts, I started to worry that this was a bent up awning ready to just fall apart!

Back to worrying about something else.

I do believe the VTDP awning is different from the DSDP and above and may weigh less and therefore have less moment arm / stress on the mounts.

Ronnie,

PERFECTLY NORMAL!! We addressed this at Girard and the tech showed me where to lube the rails.

The squeaking is caused by build up of dirt and will cause that creaking/binding sound. Clean or wash the rails and glides. Then, using a dry silicone spray, give the rails some love, as well as the knuckles.

Should be nice and quiet after that.
I would definitely go with the dry silicone or dry Teflon spray. WD40 even wiped down would just attract dirt and quickly make matters worse.

I do believe the VTDP awning is different from the DSDP and above and may weigh less and therefore have less moment arm / stress on the mounts.
As far as I know, they are not. Girard Novas are Girard Novas. Different length coaches have different length awnings, but two coaches of the same length, regardless of Newmar model with Girard novas get the same awning.

Last edited:
As far as I know, they are not. Girard Novas are Girard Novas. Different length coaches have different length awnings, but two coaches of the same length, regardless of Newmar with Girard novas get the same awning.

Okay, I must have seen a Ventana without the Nova option as the girard awning just went out without the bend down, looked like my 2017 awning but roof integrated.

Okay, I must have seen a Ventana without the Nova option as the girard awning just went out without the bend down, looked like my 2017 awning but roof integrated.
That would have been interesting to to see. Going straight out like that, I imagine you’d need some serious structure to support it and keep light winds from destroying it.

That would have been interesting to to see. Going straight out like that, I imagine you’d need some serious structure to support it and keep light winds from destroying it.
And that is the cheap option.

STATUS UPDATE from NEWMAR on WED, SEPT. 9 @ 0800 PST:

My contact at Newmar just answered a couple questions/concerns regarding the testing and parts availability.

I had asked, "even though I trust engineering, why isn't aluminum plate wasn't secured at the top to give even more support to the awning?"

His answer was, "Engineering has been heavily involved with the design of the bracket support and they feel confident in the design that they have."

I asked if the parts would be ready in time for my local servicing on Monday?

His answer was, "We are still waiting on some of the parts to come in. They have been putting pressure on the vendor but unfortunately we only had a couple of sets of prototypes. I will pass along more information once we have it. As of right now, I do not believe the parts will be in for your appointment.
We will also want to put together work instructions so that we can send those out with the brackets and have them available for the Newmar and non-Newmar service centers. Those are in the process as well."

That's all I got!

STATUS UPDATE from NEWMAR on WED, SEPT. 9 @ 0800 PST:

My contact at Newmar just answered a couple questions/concerns regarding the testing and parts availability.

I had asked, "even though I trust engineering, why isn't aluminum plate wasn't secured at the top to give even more support to the awning?"

His answer was, "Engineering has been heavily involved with the design of the bracket support and they feel confident in the design that they have."

I asked if the parts would be ready in time for my local servicing on Monday?

His answer was, "We are still waiting on some of the parts to come in. They have been putting pressure on the vendor but unfortunately we only had a couple of sets of prototypes. I will pass along more information once we have it. As of right now, I do not believe the parts will be in for your appointment.
We will also want to put together work instructions so that we can send those out with the brackets and have them available for the Newmar and non-Newmar service centers. Those are in the process as well."

That's all I got!
Strange. It’s a steel C-channel and custom bracket. I guess I just assumed Newmar had a CNC or Laser cutting machine and cut the brackets from that. The C-channel could be cut to length by any well equipped metal fabricator.

Latest resources

Back