• Commercial/Vendors welcome

GPS using an I PAD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I use my IPAD at times. It does have Cell service and WIFI. Like the IPhone it will download the maps after you activate you direction, then update via Cell or Wifi every once in a while.

Hate to be different but...OK maybe I do!!!

I use Google maps. I travel many places where service is really questionable. Listen folks, unless I reroute when I have no service I can complete the route without any problem. This has to mean the route map is stored on the phone.

Note that I loose everything if I reroute.

Co pilot GPS has offline maps and allows you to select your vehicle size to avoid those nasty low bridges etc. I only use google maps, Apple Maps, etc.. for reference, never for core navigation. CoPilot looks great on my iPad Pro and tho not perfect, it has worked pretty well for me for several years. I do suggest that any travel to remote/ unknown areas be reviewed on Google Maps satellite view for problems, as Co Pilot has provided some suboptimal routing a couple times.

Hate to be different but...OK maybe I do!!!

I use Google maps. I travel many places where service is really questionable. Listen folks, unless I reroute when I have no service I can complete the route without any problem. This has to mean the route map is stored on the phone.

Note that I loose everything if I reroute.
Kevin,

Hmmm, not gonna argue with you on “if” your’s works for you or not. But, I can argue that OFFLINE mapping for Google is NOT automatic, according to experience and their documentation.

In order to have OFFLINE use on a Google Maps, you must DOWNLOAD sections of maps while you have an internet connection. THIS IS NOT AUTOMATIC, and not based upon your routing; you have to select areas you “intend” to travel, then Download that section. This can be clunky, as well as Google up time and space.

Most people I know, haven’t a clue that this feature exists; it’s quietly tucked into your profile icon in the upper right of the iOS screen.

Here’s a screen shot to show you.

1616342100162.jpeg

Now, all this said...there IS a possibility that YOU have already pre-downloaded sections of your travel and may not know, or have forgotten. Google Maps will keep those offline maps stored until you delete them; and even make periodic updates to them...but usually with a prompt to ask you.

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back