• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Grey Tank Drain blocked

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Can you make up something more exciting? Living creature? Missing child? Squirrel? Something? Is this all we get??

Bored Cabin Fever GIF by chuber channel
Baby Groot was in there, growing vines to protect the integrity of my grey tank.

Well, an odd finding for sure. You'd think this would come out of the 3 inch drain even though yours may have the 1.5 inch stepdown plumbing. Glad you got it fixed. I assume the for sale signs are being returned?

Wow! I'm having a hard time understanding how "sand" (or, even "kitty litter") could build up to a depth sufficient to completely block the drain. Is there some sort of a baffle near the drain opening in the gray tank that would make this happen? It would seem that "sand" would flow out with the drain water and, if a build-up started to occur, the water would erode a path through it.

Did this "sand" come out in clumps? Maybe there's enough solid material in gray water to act as a binder. Soap residue, maybe? It sure does seem odd. One last question; do you normally leave the gray water valve open when connected to a sewer? Or do you keep it closed between dumps? Wondering whether one way or the other might affect a buildup like that?

Glad you got it fixed.

TJ

Last edited:
Yeah, gonna have to call in mythbusters on this. I'm not really buying the verdict either.

discovery channel lol GIF

here’s what came out when they snaked it. I am also not sure I buy that this was the cause. It still may very well be a plastic cutout but I cannot prove that at this point (inspection scope is on the way from Amazon).

2379BE78-1040-4657-AB24-AB7E25FE7DE4.jpeg
C8F89973-8CF4-4D88-A76F-E06E1BF823FD.jpeg

DDA182C6-A10A-4D9A-8AE3-377423DBAF81.jpeg

Did this "sand" come out in clumps? Maybe there's enough solid material in gray water to act as a binder. Soap residue, maybe? It sure does seem odd. One last question; do you normally leave the gray water valve open when connected to a sewer? Or do you keep it closed between dumps?
No clumps. Came out like it was on the bottom of the tank. I am not convinced but I cannot prove anything.

We only use organic liquid soap which breaks down very easily and does not gum up like that.

We never leave our tanks open, black or grey, hookups or not.

Remember it’s a 3 inch outlet. That’s large. Newmar needs to remove and inspect or replace the tank. I think they just moved whatever the block was and it will happen again. I bet 8 of @TJ&LadyDi’s quarters.

I assume the for sale signs are being returned?
At this point, no. We still plan to sell. I can’t at the time in good faith fault newmar for this one but their response to other items has not been up to my expectations.

Remember it’s a 3 inch outlet. That’s large. Newmar needs to remove and inspect or replace the tank. I think they just moved whatever the block was and it will happen again. I bet 8 of @TJ&LadyDi’s quarters.
I have the step down to a 1.5” on grey.

And, I'll raise you 8 more!

TJ

Latest resources

Back