• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Here We Go With Higher Diesel Prices

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
plus the lithium comes from Afghanistan.
Unfortunately, china and russia will get the benefits from afghanistan

In the last few days we fueled at 4 truck stops, 2 were Pilots and 2 were TA. I have been wearing a "Army Veterans" hat this week plus my F350 has a front plate indicating service in Viet Nam. At two different fuel stops I had truck driver's come over and thank me for my service. At another stop we backed in for lunch between commercial rigs and a young mechanic walked across from the shop to tell me when he retired he wanted to travel in an RV. At yet another fuel stop a black driver observed the back of my tee shirt ("We stand for the flag and kneel for the fallen") and told me he liked my shirt. When he walked to his rig I noticed on the side he had a mural of a flag painted and the words "Support Our Troops".

My point here is when I go into a truck stop to fuel I nod to other drivers and am generally friendly. I might be in a bit of a hurry but I never show it because they are the ones actually trying to make a living. The same on the road, I try to be considerate of them. Some are jerks but for the most part many are just working stiffs that would help in a real emergency.
I'm an over-the-road trucker, and I both respect and appreciate RVers like you! And yes, I'll be a full-time RVer myself when I retire, in about 3 years!?

I'm an over-the-road trucker, and I both respect and appreciate RVers like you! And yes, I'll be a full-time RVer myself when I retire, in about 3 years!?
Thanks Loose Cannon, good luck when your retirement date gets here. This type of lifestyle is pretty great IMHO.

Let me share a quick story about when I was a young Trooper just starting out. Later in my career I always shared this incident with new Troopers who were training with me as an important lesson about professional truckers.

I was working I-57 just south of the Chicago Heights area and got a call of a motorist running south pointing a handgun at other drivers. Not only was I very close to where he was last reported but I was the only Trooper within 30 miles. As luck would have it within minutes I was behind him. As soon as he recognized a squad car behind him he pulled to the shoulder and stopped. I would have preferred to follow him and wait for another squad.

I utilized felony stop procedures/commands and he complied. After several minutes I had him laying face down between his vehicle and my squad. My intention was to hold him there at gunpoint until my backup arrived, then go forward and check for additional suspects in the vehicle and secure him.

Within minutes a passing northbound car stopped across from us. The driver, a male dressed in scrubs, yelled across and identified himself as a nurse. He asked if he could come across and render aid to the poor suspect laying face down. I yelled back that my suspect was not injured and for him to move on before he caused an accident (idiot).

Then a southbound trucker stopped his rig in front of the suspect's vehicle on the shoulder. A rather large driver jumped from his cab with a baseball bat in hand and came charging back toward us yelling "Trooper, you need a hand?" I was yelling back at him that everything was under control but I don't think with the passing traffic he could hear me. Finally just before he reached the suspects vehicle he understood what I was yelling at him. He said he would return to his truck but insisted on staying put until my buddies arrived, which he did.

My lesson to young Troopers, and the lesson I learned that day was simple. If at 3am out on some lonely interstate you are getting your butt kicked by one or more individuals there is a good chance a trucker will stop and help you, but there is probably zero change a regular citizen will stop.

Kicken it back at you LC i'm 1.5 years away until Ma is done I just bought my 5ht wheel TrLr to pull with my 96 12v Cummins 5sp 2500. I just need my bumper sticker "Retired Trucker Driving Slow In The Fast Lane" LOL I can't wait. I'm going try to get Ma to full time I'm sick of paying property taxes, but Ma says she needs a home base....Women;)
TB

In the last few days we fueled at 4 truck stops, 2 were Pilots and 2 were TA. I have been wearing a "Army Veterans" hat this week plus my F350 has a front plate indicating service in Viet Nam. At two different fuel stops I had truck driver's come over and thank me for my service. At another stop we backed in for lunch between commercial rigs and a young mechanic walked across from the shop to tell me when he retired he wanted to travel in an RV. At yet another fuel stop a black driver observed the back of my tee shirt ("We stand for the flag and kneel for the fallen") and told me he liked my shirt. When he walked to his rig I noticed on the side he had a mural of a flag painted and the words "Support Our Troops".

My point here is when I go into a truck stop to fuel I nod to other drivers and am generally friendly. I might be in a bit of a hurry but I never show it because they are the ones actually trying to make a living. The same on the road, I try to be considerate of them. Some are jerks but for the most part many are just working stiffs that would help in a real emergency.
FL-JOE - I am retired USN, I could wear choker whites around and no one would say squat. We have two children in the USCG. If I put on a USCG hat, people line up and "thank me for my service".

Not to mention his cheap energy rates in Canada. And when fuel goes up, so does electricity as it aint coming from the wind or sun or unicorn farts.

FL-JOE - I am retired USN, I could wear choker whites around and no one would say squat. We have two children in the USCG. If I put on a USCG hat, people line up and "thank me for my service".
Based on our travels, I think it depends on what part of the country you are in. When we are down south or out west away from big metro areas.

Latest resources

Back