• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Here We Go With Higher Diesel Prices

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Agreed. The test drive in any EV is the game changer. We are on our way into winter here, and for us our first winter in an EV was the biggest push to transition fully to EV’s. Just a whole lot nicer experience. Still not looking forward to shovelling the driveway though. ;). Wife seems to like the exercise though soooooo. :).
EV's certainly have their place in our society but we cant tow very far with one.

EV's certainly have their place in our society but we cant tow very far with one.

Yep. Diesel is pretty good at some stuff. But As electric vehicles improve they will start to chip away at the smaller trailer market and for people who don’t need to tow far. EV’s, just like diesel vehicles, do some things very well.

Gas keeps getting more and more expensive, especially in California. But perhaps nowhere is it pricier than the remote central coast community of Gorda.

The town's only gas station is offering regular unleaded for $7.59. Premium is nearly $8.50.

This is crazy.

Gas keeps getting more and more expensive, especially in California. But perhaps nowhere is it pricier than the remote central coast community of Gorda.

The town's only gas station is offering regular unleaded for $7.59. Premium is nearly $8.50.

This is crazy.

This is crazy.

Wow. We are actually camping really close to there next year on our trip from the BC interiour to Puerta Penasco. Are taking the scenic route and have a bunch of the coastal state parks along there on the “to hike” list.

The increases are not US based. It’s all over the world. Here in Canada prices popped up last week. Friends in Spain and Germany saw a jump last week as well. It won’t stay up forever. The longer it stays higher the more people get driven to electric vehicles which operate at a fraction of the cost. Right now fuel companies are losing about 7000 customers per day as people buy electric vehicles to replace their cars and SUV/CUV’s. At some point the petrol companies are going to want and try to stem that number which is doubling about every two years right now. My guess is fuel prices will start to drop in February.

JMHO.
I read an article in NewsMax that said 1in4 CA electric car owners will not buy an electric car again because of the long charge time. it was also stated that if you figure the price of electricity and the range you're paying around $6.00 a galion. The powers that be that took away the USA's energy independence are nudging us to electric cars. To bad electric cars are just powered by coal. or natural gas and some nuke.. The sun and wind will never make cheap energy. The price is too high for those forums energy already. So when the price of natural fuels go up what do you think will happen to the price of electricity? The prices of oil is affected by all of the barrels available in the world market, since the USA isn't adding to the pool and OPEC slowing production even though the USA is begging them to produce more.(pathetic) I think your guess will be wrong unless the USA starts producing oil again. All I can say is Thanks Uncle Joe. "[removed]"
TB

I read an article in NewsMax that said 1in4 CA electric car owners will not buy an electric car again because of the long charge time. it was also stated that if you figure the price of electricity and the range you're paying around $6.00 a galion. The powers that be that took away the USA's energy independence are nudging us to electric cars. To bad electric cars are just powered by coal. or natural gas and some nuke.. The sun and wind will never make cheap energy. The price is too high for those forums energy already. So when the price of natural fuels go up what do you think will happen to the price of electricity? The prices of oil is affected by all of the barrels available in the world market, since the USA isn't adding to the pool and OPEC slowing production even though the USA is begging them to produce more.(pathetic) I think your guess will be wrong unless the USA starts producing oil again. All I can say is Thanks Uncle Joe. "[removed]"
TB

Yah, could be. I really don’t know what its like in California as we haven’t been back since before Covid.

6 bucks a gallon sounds steep though. Although honestly i have no idea how to convert kwh to mpg. Here it costs about 8 bucks (canadian) to go 500 kilometres, or at least here in the BC interior. But even at our place in california it was about 15 bucks to go about 500 kilometres (300 ish miles???). That was before covid so who knows. If we charge at superchargers its about three times that. (Which is why most try to charge at home). Youll have to get the calculator out to convert it to mpg. I have never been good at that.

I read an article about those who wouldn’t choose electric again. But from what i read the vast majority were apartment or condo dwellers with no way to charge at home. I get that. I recommend to people who don't have access to home or work charging to think it thru.

As for ling charging times. Hard to say. Depends on the car, the charger etc. Older models are slower. We rarely spend more than 15 minutes at a supercharger on road trips Unless its lunch of course. Not a bid deal for us. We used to spend more time than that getting gas at costco. :).

As far as power generation goes i couldn't say. Like much of Canada most of the power here is hydro. Depends where you live i suppose. Coal is a very small part of the power aggregate up here and will pretty much be gone within 8 years.

I’m not up on American politics so i’ll skip the rest.

Everybody has different needs and tastes. I would never go back to a slow clunky inconvenient stinky high maintenance gasser. But everybody has different tastes.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yah, could be. I really don’t know what its like in California as we haven’t been back since before Covid.

6 bucks a gallon sounds steep though. Although honestly i have no idea how to convert kwh to mpg. Here it costs about 8 bucks (canadian) to go 500 kilometres, or at least here in the BC interior. But even at our place in california it was about 15 bucks to go about 500 kilometres (300 ish miles???). That was before covid so who knows. If we charge at superchargers its about three times that. (Which is why most try to charge at home). Youll have to get the calculator out to convert it to mpg. I have never been good at that.

I read an article about those who wouldn’t choose electric again. But from what i read the vast majority were apartment or condo dwellers with no way to charge at home. I get that. I recommend to people who don't have access to home or work charging to think it thru.

As for ling charging times. Hard to say. Depends on the car, the charger etc. Older models are slower. We rarely spend more than 15 minutes at a supercharger on road trips Unless its lunch of course. Not a bid deal for us. We used to spend more time than that getting gas at costco. :).

As far as power generation goes i couldn't say. Like much of Canada most of the power here is hydro. Depends where you live i suppose. Coal is a very small part of the power aggregate up here and will pretty much be gone within 8 years.

I’m not up on American politics so i’ll skip the rest.

Everybody has different needs and tastes. I would never go back to a slow clunky inconvenient stinky high maintenance gasser. But everybody has different tastes.

Cheers.
What do you use for a RV? My wife works with a guy who drives his wife's tessla to work every few day to use the Taxpayer free charger at the school district office. Got to love the freeloaders. In the US we have a lot of free charging stations. ESP. in IL where a lot of the people think that someone else is paying for it not them.Fools. Do they charge for public chargers in the Great White North? CA is going to find out Hydro can't work when you water Golf course in a desert of NV because you won't dam your own mountain snow melt buy your water from CO.. How much do you pay up there for superchargers for a full charge? And what are you going to do when your Hydro dries up pardon the pun? And what do you think will happen to your price of Elec.when it does? Divide the price of a charge into the range that will give you a MPG I think I was not told there was going to be math today but i think that's how you could compare it to MPG. Sorry thoughts are out of order but you all know what I mean.
TB
Wait is that Coal is going to be gone in eight years or your hydro is dried up in eight years? Do you use NG? If the answer is coal you guys are Phucked as far as your price of Elec. goes.

Last edited:
What do you use for a RV? My wife works with a guy who drives his wife's tessla to work every few day to use the Taxpayer free charger at the school district office. Got to love the freeloaders. In the US we have a lot of free charging stations. ESP. in IL where a lot of the people think that someone else is paying for it not them.Fools. Do they charge for public chargers in the Great White North? CA is going to find out Hydro can't work when you water Golf course in a desert of NV because you won't dam your own mountain snow melt buy your water from CO.. How much do you pay up there for superchargers for a full charge? And what are you going to do when your Hydro dries up pardon the pun? And what do you think will happen to your price of Elec.when it does? Divide the price of a charge into the range that will give you a MPG I think I was not told there was going to be math today but i think that's how you could compare it to MPG.( galion into mile traveled price of charge into miles traveled) Sorry thoughts are out of order but you all know what I mean.
TB
TB

Yah I know there is some kind of formula for mpg E.

We drove a diesel pusher until last spring. We are going to a small teardrop trailer so we can explore little places we have been passing by for the last 18 years. That and get on and off the ferry’s easier...and cheaper. :). We’ll pull it with a medium sized electric CUV. Should be fun.

Free charging is rare around here. Except maybe for hotels that use it as a loss leader. We do that on road trips. I don’t really care if it’s free, just that the hotel has charging facilities. Pretty common around here.

I’m not sure hydro will come to an end up here anytime soon. Guess we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

On edit. Noticed your question re cost of a full charge. I’ll guess at around 22 bucks. I’ve never arrived empty so not sure. Most our road trip stops are 14 or 15 bucks.

Last edited:
not the way to road trip

Heh heh. I like the pic. But it wouldn’t work. Neither J1772 nor any of the DCFC formats allow for charging while moving.

Our road trips are no different now than when we drove our grand Cherokee. Everybody likes different things in a car. We like high performance premium grade sedans for reasonable money. To each his own.

Latest resources

Back