Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

House batteries wont recharge from driving (halfway on cross country trip)

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

moto_marx

RVF Regular
cross country from fl to cali in a 99' workhorse chassis on a '00 winnebago itasca sunrise and a week into driving i10, my house batteries (one year old and well maintained) wont recharge themselves. i've physivally inspected the power cables and connection. sounded different when I fired it up first thing this morning. after driving several hours, batteries are at 12.2. I have 200 watts of solar but it was really cloudy today with light rain. in the past with a 97 camper van, a relay went bad for the charger that charges the house batteries. i wonder if its the same thing. im going to call winnebago in the morning. I've turned off my house system and am not sure what to do. I'm in ft. stockton, tx not sure whether to press on to nm and find someone to help along the way

Till you get it figured out, run the genny to charge the house. Yes, on the road!

Did it run before the trip?

I've been on the road for 10 days. slowly driving from fl to cali. it's always worked. I disconnected the solar and drove 90 minutes but it didn't charge back so I think it's a hidden part of the wire or connection or converter is bad. the connections for 120v were loose going into the converter. I tightened and replaced a 15a fuse for dc power to an extra cigarette lighter outlet

update: tested the ac120 power going into the converter with a multimeter with and without the main breaker on and noticed no change from 12.7v. pics below

Attachments

• 20231111_180908.jpg
    20231111_180908.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231111_180900.jpg
    20231111_180900.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Sitting, what is the battery voltage

it is sitting. I'm not plugged into sure power. batteries read anywhere between 12.2 and 12.9 since the problem started. unplugged the solar system, read batts 12.75 and drove 90 minutes and read 12.4

This the chassis batteries?

Latest resources

Back