Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Initial thoughts on LifePO4 (Lithium) battery conversion in my 2017 Newmar Ventana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Obviously we make this a form of art when we take on these projects. I don't know the requirements but just thinking through various options.

This could really be quite a simple drop in replacement. Put 3 x GC3's (or 2) in the battery tray with a 3/4 inch plywood floor for insulation. Bus bar connect them and then connect the inverter as before to the positive on one end, the shunt off the other end and bam, you have your battery bank. Replace the BIM and update your settings.

My main concern is heat. These compartments get super hot in the summer so leaving them open to ventilate in an open bay seems beneficial. For winter camping have an enclosure and possibly a heat source. Enclosure could be simply 3/4" plywood or even something with insulation of some type.

I'd probably go with the smart shunt but even my current setup gives me battery temp.

This bay is a path from outside in to the basement for various wires and maybe even some active air stuff, I have to review so enclosing it all may add some complexity.

But again, yeah, it's a form of art (OCD) so building out a basement with Newmar's carpet used in the basement is my desire. Bringing in the solar would be nice too but there is also the side that goes for simple and also an option if ever needed to revert to AGM's.

Thinking out loud.

Thanks @DHudson - I'll review and also keep looking for more blog/vlogs to keep learning from. I still may be a year out from this project, my batteries look great and I'll be evaluating their health again soon with a boondocking night test and see where I am. I don't want to replace batteries that may be working perfectly as is.

True… my main reason to remove the tray was so I could properly insulate the compartment…. But your alternatives would work too.
I still want your old tray if you still have it - just havent made it out your way yet, but maybe in 2023. You’re not that far from a lot of famoly and now my daughter and 3 or 4 of the GKs might be headed to Mooresville.

Sure thing. I still have the tray. Not sure it’s going anywhere.

Battleborn called me today while on my drive to the next stop, was nice chatting with them and getting details pinned down. They now have a heated GC3, it's a little more money but solves the problem of cold weather camping. Still needs an enclosure as it's not going to heat enough for an outdoor/exposed battery. But something I'd probably consider.

It's interesting when you start educating on LifePO4 batteries all kinds of vendors popup. Last night this brand popped up in my YouTube feed. Seems like many are possibly rebranding the same internal battery? Is this getting like Bose where you're buying a name and not the battery? Is there that much difference in a LifePO4 battery internally?

When I spoke with Battleborn he mentioned there may be an issue with the Magnum controller doing a proper rebulk. If there are issues he recommended the Victron Multiplus ii inverter, about $1500. But you'd need a control panel (or just use bluetooth) and then AGS may need to be rewired and if so it should be done by a certified installer. I'd certainly try the magnum first but it was interesting learning about the Victron inverter. Sure seems Victron has come a long way (or I'm just learning of their products more) on great products.

My Victron Multi-plus (24/3000) and Color Control GX are sitting on a shelf because I dont want to scrap out all my Magnum equipment in the Ventana and start over with Victron. The Victron equipment would allow me to use a Li-ion battery bank that is more capable and less expensive (repurposing used electric car batter modules such as Nissan Leaf) and that was fine in the Bay Star and my old Class C, but I just don’t want to alter the Ventana to that degree (removing all the Magnum stuff) so the project is on hold at least until my house batteries need replacement. But I do miss the victron equipment and enjoyed running an AC with it in the previous rigs. The ideal system would be a large Li-ion bank and a Victron 48/8000. But I think I’ve pretty much decided to just stay out of the South in the summer and when in need relegate myslef to nice RV parks.

Latest resources

Back