It is time...for new house batteries! Likely LiFePO4 - calling all DIYers

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Neal.

Sorry I'm late to the party, I've been out in the wild a week.

I did build my own Lithium battery bank in 2016. At that time, not much available in 12V already built packages, so I bought Calb cells (16 of them) bus bars, BMS (very rudimentary), heating pad, etc... Built a 720ah pack. I removed old 6 volt AGM's (6 of them) and installed in same bay. The bay was open to fresh air. I did not modify the bay or insulate. I installed remote monitoring temperature alarms (both high and low). Never went off and I never had an issue with temperature, got close a few times, but never an issue. I took the coach to Newfoundland, Alaska, Southwest desert, etc. Never an issue. So I think enclosing the bay completely might not be required in my experience.

All that being said, if I were to do it again today, I'd buy an already built lithium battery pack no lower than 700ah. The 720ah battery I had in my 2014 would last me 2+ days, depending on clouds (I had 960 watts of solar). I had propane stove, so the only drain was the microwave when cooking. Did not set it up for A/C. I know you have all electric, so cooking stove will have a bigger impact on you during boondocking. Only reason I would opt to build again would be for cost savings. Building is not hard and never had warranty issues or any reason to need support, so to me it would come down to cost.

I plan on transitioning my current coach to Lithium after 1 year warranty is up. Very interested in the server rack versions (like the 400ah 12v EG4 LL from Signature Solar).

If you decide to build, more than happy to advise/help out.

DDMO

In chatting with Steve U. that's running Newmar Hoots which I'm at presently he mentioned taking a look at this company:

One of the concerns and something to look into is the BMS, internal vs. external and how it plays with Magnum, etc.

In chatting with Steve U. that's running Newmar Hoots which I'm at presently he mentioned taking a look at this company:

One of the concerns and something to look into is the BMS, internal vs. external and how it plays with Magnum, etc.
I agree, I have had to jump start some lithium batteries to get the charge controller to start the charge cycle.

The Hoots Rally looks like a good time. I’ll put that on our schedule for 2024

I purchased a SOK for our greenhouse to give it a try. I had previously went with the heated LifeBlues from AM solar when I converted my Tiffin RED back in 2019. Now that I have a Winnebago Navion, I will probably purchase 2 of the heated SOK since their size will fit in the OEM battery tray under the stairs. One thing that I noticed was the SOK seem to charge faster, compared the the LifeBlues that I had. This was probably because the BMS on the SOK was newer and configured to accept higher current charging.

Also, keep in mind that the lithiums do not have to sit flat. You can mount them on their side or on edge, which may give you extra space if standing up on end and anchored to the side wall of your bay.

Picked up the coach yesterday, my typical routine leaving storage is adding required distilled water, tire pressures, etc. The usual 1/2 gal of distilled water on boarded and noticed a few batteries with corrosion on the terminals which I'll be cleaning and coating as was done in the past. Overnight at my house, no loads, SOC down to 69% in the morning, definitely not good or expected while I did dial down the temp of the basement dometic CF-80 cooler to 26 (usually around 10 below actual) to get the beer cold cold cold.

As the coach is getting new shoes (tires) as I type this, I think the winter project is set which may impact winter plans, we shall see. But my desire is to "remodel" the house battery bay similar to @Richpatty with wood paneling and basement carpet per Newmar in other bays and get some LifePO4's installed and the Li BIM. Move all solar equipment into the bay. Watching for black friday sales with Battleborn, etc. but strongly considering building my own per the diysolar forum and his videos. @Ddmo I believe you mentioned building your own so I welcome any info share here as to how to buy, select, build, etc.

So let's switch to LifePO4 together, any inputs, suggestions, etc. etc. welcome. Time to get this corrosion mess out and a house battery bay to show off to all my friends that want nothing more than to look at a house battery bay while camping that I'm sure will be asking to see :)

No solar or inverter changes expected, just batteries at this time unless I'm super convinced and arm twisted. Hoping to find some great deals this shopping season in this strained economy!
make sure the battery has temperature control becauz all lifepo4 batteries are not made with them and can freeze leaving you crying.

Latest resources

Back