Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Jeep mileage adds while towing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ok, I just wanted to clarify a few things. I went out to test a few scenarios today. I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Safari automatic.
1. Will the speedometer work with transfer in neutral and transmission in park? (Switch on)
1. Answer: yes it will

2. Will power come on at first click of ignition switch?
2. Answer: yes it will and steering wheel unlocks.

I have video recordings of the tests I’ll be posting a little later.

Here is one video:

I have power engaged on my 2018 too on one notch but there is no need on mine because there is NO steering lock. Does your 09 have a steering lock? I think NOT. I believe steering locks ended mid way through 2008. Thus, there is no need for the key to be in the ignition.

Darrell

I have power engaged on my 2018 too on one notch but there is no need on mine because there is NO steering lock. Does your 09 have a steering lock? I think NOT. I believe steering locks ended mid way through 2008. Thus, there is no need for the key to be in the ignition.

Darrell
Yes, my 2009 does have a steer lock.

Yes, my 2009 does have a steer lock.

Then I suspect you have a rare "one of". And if you can tow your Jeep with the transfer case in Neutral and still have the trans mounted speed pick up operate, then again, you have a very rare "one of".

Darrell

Then I suspect you have a rare "one of". And if you can tow your Jeep with the transfer case in Neutral and still have the trans mounted speed pick up operate, then again, you have a very rare "one of".

Darrell
The speed sensor is mounted on the back of the transfer case.

Darrell
i finally got the video up to show the speedometer working.

The speed sensor is mounted on the back of the transfer case.

i finally got the video up to show the speedometer working.

Please accept my humble apology! It appears your 2009 Wrangler's speed sensor is indeed mounted on the transfer case. I have learned today. Thank you!

Darrell

Please accept my humble apology! It appears your 2009 Wrangler's speed sensor is indeed mounted on the transfer case. I have learned today. Thank you!

Darrell
That being said, I went out this morning to fisically verify it was on the case. “My previous statement was from info I found on line. “. I did not see one, but then again I could only see about 85% of it.

That being said, I went out this morning to fisically verify it was on the case. “My previous statement was from info I found on line. “. I did not see one, but then again I could only see about 85% of it.
I still think your 2009 should not have a steering lock. Try again to turn your wheel with the key out. My buddy has an 09 and tows it without a key in the ignition.

Darrell

I still think your 2009 should not have a steering lock. Try again to turn your wheel with the key out. My buddy has an 09 and tows it without a key in the ignition.

Darrell
Must be an early ‘09 vs a late ‘09 thing

My apologies mine is a 2008. I don’t know why I was thinking 2009???
They say your memory is the second thing to go. I can’t remember what the first thing was. 🤪
Anyway the wheel does lock.

My 16 RAM has a sensor built into the transfer case! 8 speed ZF transmission with NP transfer case! Although electronics and computers makes placement optional, the 3 speed torqueflight transmission with NP transfer case, the speedo gear is a sleeve over the output shaft in the tailshaft housing with a removable gear out the drivers side of the housing.

Latest resources

Back