Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Jeep mileage adds while towing?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MoJo

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Damon
RV Model
Challenger
RV Length
Engine
Triton
TOW/TOAD
searching
Fulltimer
No
Barely taking our first baby step. Can't afford to take this path twice so trying to get it right first time. My first question... Looking at an add for a nice looking Jeep. I read this:
"2003 Jeep Wrangler ·
5 speed Manual Transmission
203K miles - Driven about 80K, pulled behind a Winnebago for remaining miles.
Front & Rear Tow Receivers
Convertible Top (Excellent Condition)".
Does the mileage actually accrue on odometer while towing, and if so I imagine there is no real way to validate a claim of 'towed' vs 'driven' miles. Thanks in advance. I'm gonna have a lot of questions.

Barely taking our first baby step. Can't afford to take this path twice so trying to get it right first time. My first question... Looking at an add for a nice looking Jeep. I read this:
"2003 Jeep Wrangler ·
Does the mileage actually accrue on odometer while towing, and if so I imagine there is no real way to validate a claim of 'towed' vs 'driven' miles. Thanks in advance. I'm gonna have a lot of questions.
We have towed three Jeeps now. First was a 1991 XJ Automatic. Then a 1998 TJ and now a 2018 JK. None have logged mileage being towed. I would be passing on this Jeep as I think the seller is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I'd be asking to see the mileage on the Winny. I would be surprised if it was over 100 thousand.

Darrell

We have towed several Jeeps and have never had the Jeep odometer register the towed mileage.

FLSteve

"2003 Jeep Wrangler ·
Baloney. They do not add mileage when towed. I have owned 3 Wrangler toads including a 2001. There is absolutely no way to add mileage unless the wife was driving behind.

We have towed three Jeeps now. First was a 1991 XJ Automatic. Then a 1998 TJ and now a 2018 JK. None have logged mileage being towed. I would be passing on this Jeep as I think the seller is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. I'd be asking to see the mileage on the Winny. I would be surprised if it was over 100 thousand.

Darrell
All about new vs old! If the odometer is digital, it may not have power, therefore not log towed miles, but that is speculation. If odometer is analog, the speedo gets its data from the main output tail shaft. What that means is if the rear wheels on the jeep turn, miles are recorded. Another reason to trailer! Remember that everything is wearing, not just the drive train!!!

I've towed 3 different years and models of Jeep Wranglers and none have registered miles. The odometers are electronic not the old mechanical with a speedometer cable. I suggest passing on this Jeep.

Nope. I’ve seen that on a few Jeep adds too. Its absolutely not true. The speedo drive/sensor is on the transmission and it doesn't turn because you tow with the transfer case in neutral. Also I tow with the ignition off (one click so the wheel doesn't lock), which is probably typical, and as Tex pointed out these odometers are electronic.

Nope. I’ve seen that on a few Jeep adds too. Its absolutely not true. The speedo drive is on the transmission and it doesn't turn because you tow with the transfer case in neutral.
Didn't know, now I do! Only had one jeep, back in the American motors days, and that memory is cloudy at best!

Wow. Thanks to all for the incredibly fast response and explanations. I was thinking this might be bunk, but being so new and still learning I didn't want to jump to conclusions. I have read several places that some vehicles need power 'on' while towing and thought, just possibly' that could be the case here. The speedo being connected to transfer case makes sense. As a kid, I'd disconnect my mother's speedo cable somewhere near the front driveshaft of her Cutlass Supreme to conceal mileage when I 'borrowed' her car. 🤷🤣 Thanks for the advice. I'll dodge this particular vehicle.

I'll be back with more. 😁

All about new vs old! If the odometer is digital, it may not have power, therefore not log towed miles, but that is speculation. If odometer is analog, the speedo gets its data from the main output tail shaft. What that means is if the rear wheels on the jeep turn, miles are recorded. Another reason to trailer! Remember that everything is wearing, not just the drive train!!!
Thanks, Kevin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108_102505_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_102505_Facebook.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 12

Latest resources

Back