Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Looking to stream TV and don`t know what is better.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Glad to hear this worked out for you. Do you have any idea how many GB's were consumed in your test & which carrier you connected to?
As I read the information on their website, I get the impression the device has built in logic to connect to the carrier with the strongest signal. Would you say I am interpreting what's on the web site correctly?
On the surface, pricing for data seems to be a little steep. However, if the device actually accesses the carrier with the strongest signal & you don't have to worry about plans from multiple carriers, if could offer some advantages to other solutions.
Thanks for taking the time to provide feed back on your experience.
I made my purchase of the TRavelfI this morning..... I was able to get $40 off so the unit only cost 189 including shipping.

I noticed you stated that the price for the data plan seems a little steep, and at first I agreed with you, but I looked at Wingard's pay as you go data plans , and they are far steeper, according to both of their websites.

TrafelFI: 25GB $49
Wineguard : 20GB $150

Travelfi is not only less expensive to purchase, but their Data is less than a third of Wineguard`s costs.

You probably could find less expensive data on a monthly plan, but $49 for 25GB without a contract seems like a good deal.

Another update to the purchase,

I called to get my data plan, and TravelFi is owned by Dish Network. If your a Dish customer you will get the unit for free, and only need to pay for the Data. ..... Since I stream my TV I am not a Dish customer, but for those of you who are, you they will give you the TravelFI Journey 1 for free, and you can charge your data as part of you Dish Network bill.

This is where an individuals use case impacts their perspective. I live & work full time from my RV. I am also dependent on devices which require data only plans along with multiple carriers in the event cellular service from one carrier is inadequate. For example, I have an AT&T 500GB data plan from a 3rd party reseller at $120.00 a month (have been using it for close to 2 years). No contract. To me, that seems like a good deal.
If I disregard data consumption I use from the RV park (unusually good at this location) for my TV's, I consume a little over 100GB a month to support my work.
While not mainstream right now, I suspect the technology (virtual SIMs) utilized by TravelFi will gain in popularity over time. At their price point, I would consider their device to supplement my existing LAN on the RV if it had Ethernet connectivity.
Thanks for all your feed back. I do wish TravelFi had more information about their product(s) on their website.

This is where an individuals use case impacts their perspective. I live & work full time from my RV. I am also dependent on devices which require data only plans along with multiple carriers in the event cellular service from one carrier is inadequate. For example, I have an AT&T 500GB data plan from a 3rd party reseller at $120.00 a month (have been using it for close to 2 years). No contract. To me, that seems like a good deal.
If I disregard data consumption I use from the RV park (unusually good at this location) for my TV's, I consume a little over 100GB a month to support my work.
While not mainstream right now, I suspect the technology (virtual SIMs) utilized by TravelFi will gain in popularity over time. At their price point, I would consider their device to supplement my existing LAN on the RV if it had Ethernet connectivity.
Thanks for all your feed back. I do wish TravelFi had more information about their product(s) on their website.
I get what your saying about people having different needs.... and lets face it.... if people didn`t have different needs, then there wouldn`t be a need for different services..... I really just did this posting because i know of several people who use their camper in a similar way that i do, and the information out there is kinda crappy... almost like they want people to be confused.....at first in this ordeal i was HEVALY leaning toward the GW-1000, but then i found this review ( link below) , and it kinda made me do more research on the TravelFi, and the more I looked into it, the more it seemed to fit my needs.

Happy travels

I called to get my data plan, and TravelFi is owned by Dish Network. If your a Dish customer you will get the unit for free, and only need to pay for the Data. ..... Since I stream my TV I am not a Dish customer, but for those of you who are, you they will give you the TravelFI Journey 1 for free, and you can charge your data as part of you Dish Network bill.

TravlFi is not owned by Dish Network. It's owned by Pace International who are Dish distributors. I don't know for sure but I assume the free device is only for Pace customers and not if you get Dish from somewhere else.

Yes, this topic is well covered and, though the specifics in terms of plans may change, the general concepts of components remain the same...for now.

I explain a very good setup that will serve the majority very well; while being fairly reasonable in terms of cost layout.

Have a watch at my video; hopefully it'll help you.

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I do think you short-sold the Mifi/Hotspot option. It’s super flexible for our needs and can go with you in other vehicles for day trips.

I bought the pepwave through mobilemusthave.com and it solved the problem. I also got the cell card which keeps everything going when not on camp Wi-Fi.

Latest resources

Back