Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Looking to stream TV and don`t know what is better.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
docj,

I understand the limits and the fact that they would be no better than a phone hotspot.
The benefit of using a WIFI router it that its a monthly option, and not needing a plan like a cell phone. When i use up my available data for the month its not cost effective to add data like it would be for Either of the Wineguard options or the TravelFi option.

The risk between the options and a cell phone is that a cell phone does not need to be within 1 mile of a cell tower to work properly.

I`m assuming that you work for WiFiRanger or Wineguard (based on other posts i`ve read since researching the WiFiRanger)

With absolute 100% respect, I would prefer the WiFiRanger, and it looks to have the best options, but since TravelFi uses multiple cellular towers and is willing to buy back their item if it doesn`t work it makes for a more attractive option. In my opinion to spend over $400 on a product that may or may not work is just not worth it. I appreciate that your target customer does not dry camp, and go out in remote areas, and that is most likely the reason your suggested range is only 1 mile...... this last paragraph is intended to be a suggestion, please read it that way. one of the bad things about a written response is that it can be interpreted multiple ways.

Thanks again.

I just went back to the Osprey webpage on the WiFiRanger website and there is no mention of this "1 mile cell phone range." I think you are confusing the nominal one mile WiFi range of the device with a cell phone range. I have never heard anyone discuss how far from a cell tower a device can be because that's not something that normally matters. Here's a link to the Osprey webpage: Osprey - WiFiRanger

If, in fact, there is such a reference to the Osprey on the Winegard website, please let me know and I'll have it corrected ASAP.

Winegard owns WiFiRanger but, at present, WiFiRanger is run pretty much as a standalone division. We don't review Winegard's website, so it is possible something incorrect slipped in.

After a few days of research and asking questions, I've made choice to give TravelFi a try, especially since its only a $29 risk because they will take the unit back. The nice thing is that one of the local RV stores stocks the units, and I can take care of everything a their store.

I have found it difficult to find independent " Real World " results for any of the options in remote areas. So this weekend I'm planning to go to my camp in Allegany where we are not able to get a single Radio station, TV Channel on antenna, and average 2 bars on a cell phone and see what happens. Anyone who knows the Kinzua area in New York knows its a pretty remote area, and this should be a good area to test.

I am planning to bring 4 TV`s with me all streaming on a Roku........the plan is to hook up one TV let it run a bit, then the second, again run a bit... Third..... Fourth..... ETC.

The reasoning for my decision is the costs to get started on each of the plans and total risk of investment.
TravelFi Journey1: $229 cost of unit plus $19 for 2 gig for 1 month plus $10 activation Total investment $258, NOTE: if not satisfied they will reimburse $229 total Risk $29
Wineguard GW100: $329 cost of unit plus $35 for 3 gig for 1 month, no activation fee total investment $364
NOTE: 1GB can be purchased for $20, but not enough data to test, ALSO no reimbursement so total risk $364
WiFiRanger Osprey: $399 cost of unit plus $35 for 3 gig for 1 month, no activation fee total investment $434
NOTE: 1GB can be purchased for $20, but not enough data to test, ALSO no reimbursement so total risk $434

Other things of note.... TravelFi does not connect to the Air 360+ antenna on the RV but is standalone. Both Wineguard and WiFiRanger connect to the Air 360+, and MAY have grater range then the TravelFI but I wont be able to verify that myself. My opinion I like the look of the Wineguard and WifiRanger better since it integrates with existing equipment and wont be an additional box sitting in the open, but if it works I'm sure I can come up with a solution for that.

Is there anything anyone else would like me to try since I'm testing the unit?

Sincerely,
Kurt

With all due respect, your comparisons of devices are of apples and oranges. The Winegard GW100 is a basic device with a Category 4 modem and a 2.4 GHz WiFi. The Osprey is significantly more advanced and has either Category 6 or 12 modems and has dual band (2.4 and 5.8 GHz) WiFi. There's no way of knowing what the TravelFi offers. This isn't just "techno-babble"; these features make a big difference in how the device performs.

I think all these devices have been reviewed by the Mobile Internet Resource Center (MIRC) which provides comparisons that are based on more that just price. MIRC's information is unbiased and much of it is free to read. I think you might get some useful information: Internet for RV & Boats

With all due respect I said I couldn't find " Real World " results. also I am comparing three options that are available to people like myself who are not full timers and don`t want to waste unnecessary money on a device that they may only use a dozen times per year and that's what makes it an apples to apples comparison...... my research started way before my original post and it included adding additional data to my existing cell phone, Verizon MiFi, Walmart Purchased cellular Modems..... ETC. that lead me to comparing the TravelFi and the Wineguard GW-1000, I was asking if anyone had experience with either of them. You were the one who introduced your product into the comparison and there are zero real world results since according to you its only been on the market for 2 months. If you don`t like what I'm saying SORRY , but these are real comparisons that consumers do before making a purchase.

If anything you should be happy that I am willing to take a competitors device and put it thru its paces to see if it fails, and do it at my own time and expense......I also asked if there was anything someone would like me to try wile I am testing on my own time and expense.......I am not here looking to bash the company your representing, in fact I have made several positive comments about your product.

BTW for others peoples references:
My opinion the drawback to :
* Adding data to cell phone, it is difficult to use the cell phone while streaming TV, but other than that the phone worked perfect.
* Verizon MiFi requires a plan 2 year commitment and its expensive
* Walmart Cellular modem had poor reviews, and low success rate in remote areas

And this is what led me to the TravelFi and Wineguard GW-1000

I applaud you for taking 4 TVs & ROKUs to run your test. From your post, it was not clear how much data (in GB's) that you had to administer your test. You mention plan increments of 1, 2 & 3 GBs.
A quick search on the internet seems to indicate SD (480p) could consume anywhere from .5GB to close to 1GB per hour based on the streaming application. Higher definition displays obviously consume more GBs per hour. I'm sure you are aware the device distributing the cellular signal to the TVs has a limit on how much data it can process in aggregate. A CAT 12 modem should be able to download & distribute more data than a CAT 4 modem, all other factors being equal. I did not look at the specs on either of the devices you identified as test subjects.
I would be most interested in hearing how the TravelFi performs against the Wineguard GW-1000. What cellular carrier(s) were utilzied in the test, were the SIMs interchangeable between the devices & how many TV's could you utilize?
Looking forward to the results & thank you for sharing.

that lead me to comparing the TravelFi and the Wineguard GW-1000, I was asking if anyone had experience with either of them. You were the one who introduced your product into the comparison and there are zero real world results since according to you its only been on the market for 2 months. If you don`t like what I'm saying SORRY , but these are real comparisons that consumers do before making a purchase

I still don't think you appreciate that WiFiRanger and Winegard are single company. I didn't inject "my" product into your discussion as a competitor. It is a more advanced product than the GW-1000 and this message is very clear on our website. Winegard continues to market the GW-1000 as a lower cost, entry-level approach to getting internet access with the Air360+

As for there not being any real world reviews of the Osprey, here's the latest that the Mobile Internet Resource Center has about both the Osprey and the GW-1000: Review In Progress: AIR 360+ and Routers by Winegard & WiFiRanger (Mobile Router | Wi-Fi Extending)

I applaud you for taking 4 TVs & ROKUs to run your test. From your post, it was not clear how much data (in GB's) that you had to administer your test. You mention plan increments of 1, 2 & 3 GBs.
A quick search on the internet seems to indicate SD (480p) could consume anywhere from .5GB to close to 1GB per hour based on the streaming application. Higher definition displays obviously consume more GBs per hour. I'm sure you are aware the device distributing the cellular signal to the TVs has a limit on how much data it can process in aggregate. A CAT 12 modem should be able to download & distribute more data than a CAT 4 modem, all other factors being equal. I did not look at the specs on either of the devices you identified as test subjects.
I would be most interested in hearing how the TravelFi performs against the Wineguard GW-1000. What cellular carrier(s) were utilzied in the test, were the SIMs interchangeable between the devices & how many TV's could you utilize?
Looking forward to the results & thank you for sharing.
The only reason I am taking 4 TV`s is because I use my camper at NASCAR races, Football games ETC.
I usually have both inside TV`s going and 1 TV outside. The 4th TV would only be to see how many devices the unit can handle. Up until last year I used a satellite service, and chose to switch to a streaming service because I see it as the way of the future...... Last year my phone was able to handle the 3 TV`s no problem, but I ran out of data in the middle of a race ( embarrassing ) so this year before camper season starts I'm getting things figured out.......My previous postings may have been mis leading.....This weekend I am not doing a comparison of the Winguard and the TravelFi..... I am only using the TravelFI, because if it doesn't work out, I am able to return the unit for full credit, and will most likely go back to Satellite, but a pay as you go type thing for my camper only. If I were to purchase either of the Wineguard products, and they don`t work, I am out full price of the units.

JUST TO BE CLEAR !!!!! from all of my research, phone calls, reading articles..... all three units seem to work well in the standard environment....... My situation is that I will be using the unit in a remote area where antenna service is sketchy at best. .... I've hade several conversations, and the entire Cellular streaming thing has become very clear to me, but honestly I see no need chancing a back and forth contest in my posting.

When I go to camp this weekend I will be able to comment on how the least expensive option ONLY performed.....I explained what I am doing to one of our local RV dealers, and the service Manager might take a ride with me to check it out first hand..... He said this is becoming a popular question, and seeing it first hand would benefit him.

I`ll keep the post updated when I try the unit out.

I still don't think you appreciate that WiFiRanger and Winegard are single company. I didn't inject "my" product into your discussion as a competitor. It is a more advanced product than the GW-1000 and this message is very clear on our website. Winegard continues to market the GW-1000 as a lower cost, entry-level approach to getting internet access with the Air360+

As for there not being any real world reviews of the Osprey, here's the latest that the Mobile Internet Resource Center has about both the Osprey and the GW-1000: Review In Progress: AIR 360+ and Routers by Winegard & WiFiRanger (Mobile Router | Wi-Fi Extending)
I get the 2 units are owned by the same company, but they are marketed as two separate units one by Wineguard and one by WiFiRanger the information on them is even on two separate websites and since they are two separate units i am speaking about them as to different units.

Latest resources

Back