Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Looking to stream TV and don`t know what is better.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I actually had a VERY pleasant phone call from TravelFi....
They are saying that they can connect up to 5 devices, but they do not believe they will have the speed to accommodate 4 TV`s.....They are confident the unit will handle 2 TV`s streaming at the same time, and a few other devices strolling the internet. Depending on my streaming service I might be able to get a 3rd TV out of it, but I shouldn`t plan for it ......... an additional benefit I didn't realize is that the unit is fully portable...... I can either plug it in for a non stop use, or the unit can e charged for up to 10 hours of use per charge...... while operating on the internal battery the unit speed stays the same.....thinking about it now..... its nice I can take the unit anywhere and not have it permanently attached to my RV..... it gives me more ability to use it.

Two drawbacks from their service that I just found out.
1) Unused data does not roll over to the following month.... use it or loose it (I don't know if the other options roll over data)
2) There is a $10 activation fee. If I were to activate the unit this month..... let it expire next month an use it the following.... I would be charged an additional $10 for activation. If it works out, I will pay a $10 activation fee every Year for camper season.

She is soo confident that their product will do exactly what I need that not only do they have a money back guarantee, she also gave me a $30 off coupon code..... Im soo looking forward to testing this little bugger out this weekend.

Yes, this topic is well covered and, though the specifics in terms of plans may change, the general concepts of components remain the same...for now.

I explain a very good setup that will serve the majority very well; while being fairly reasonable in terms of cost layout.

Have a watch at my video; hopefully it'll help you.

Great presentation, I have a wifi Ranger and having trouble getting a sim card for it. Will the Transit Duo hook to the wifi ranger and stay connected while traveling?

Trying to get WiFi Ranger folks on the phone is nearly impossible. Looking for unlimited usage, but having two cell plans make sense so when one is week hopefully the second one will be strong. I am new to all of this so it’s new stuff for me.

Trying to get WiFi Ranger folks on the phone is nearly impossible. Looking for unlimited usage, but having two cell plans make sense so when one is week hopefully the second one will be strong. I am new to all of this so it’s new stuff for me.
That`s unfortunate that their customer service is like that.... Good to know

As far as being new to this stuff..... I know its a bit overwhelming at first.... its almost like people are speaking another language, but keep doing research and having conversations..... it will make sense sooner than you think

Great presentation, I have a wifi Ranger and having trouble getting a sim card for it. Will the Transit Duo hook to the wifi ranger and stay connected while traveling?

I'm not sure why you're having a problem getting a SIM for the modem in your Ranger. Most AT&T and T-Mobile data-only plans (the kind used for hotspots) ought to work. Unfortunately, often it's difficult to get a customer service agent who understands how to connect devices other than phones and hotspots obtained from the cellular provider.

I hope you understand that WiFiRanger is not a cellular plan provider. We design and market routers some of which have integrated modems. Our product line is currently certified for use on the AT&T and T-Mobile networks. Our parent company, Winegard, markets a set of AT&T plans they call FreedomGo, but customers are not required to use those. Other than those plans, we don't provide data plans for owners of our hardware, although we we often share information about plans we are aware of.

Rbjewell,
You are looking to the wrong people (WiFi Ranger folks) to give you an answer. IMHO you should decide which cellular carrier(s) you want to use & look for data plans that meet your needs. Truly usable unlimited data only plans are more mythical than reality in today's world, especially for new accounts. Data only plans are different than reqular cell phone plans.
For what it's worth, a lot of full time RV folks who work while traveling use data only plans from (in alphabetical order) AT&T, T-Moble & Verizon. Most of these data only plans (no equipment involved) are month to month.
There are also 3rd party resellers (some more reliable than others) that provide multi hundred GB plans.
Might I suggest you go to the Mobile Internet Resource Center & browse their website (free section is adequate).
They do a good job of explaining the technology, the equipment, & provide a lot of information on current data plans for the equipment.

Well..... I had the opportunity to get down to camp today.....the Travelfi worked perfect with 2 tv`s running off of it. when I connected the third TV it ran perfect for about a half hour. Then it would freeze momentarily every 10 to 15 minutes or so..... it actually wasn't all that bad.... it literally would be quick less than a second long then back to normal..... I didn't bother hooking up the 4th tv. The equipment I was using is as follows: (in order I connected)
1 smart TV 44inch ONN using the Roku app to stream
1 TV 32" with a Roku Express connected to the HDMI, and was also plugged into the USB Port for Power
1 Smart TV 24" ONN using the Roku App to stream.

I had the TRavelFi fully charged , and was at camp for about 3 hours the TravelFI is still at about 75% charge, maybe a little bit less. While I was testing the unit I also had my phone connected to the TravelFi ....Today was a bit of a rainy cloudy day, my phone only had 2 bars service...... I honestly was impressed with how it worked and performed.... granted I didn't have another unit to compare it to, but I now understand why TravelFi has so much confidence in their product that it included a moneyback guarantee. Plus it does not need to be connected to the RV to work, it is 100% portable...... A bit surprising that the least expensive unit I found has that much confidence in their products.... but hay sometimes spending more money is just simply spending more money...

I hope this helps other people like me trying to make a decision on what to purchase.

Well..... I had the opportunity to get down to camp today.....the Travelfi worked perfect with 2 tv`s running off of it. when I connected the third TV it ran perfect for about a half hour. Then it would freeze momentarily every 10 to 15 minutes or so..... it actually wasn't all that bad.... it literally would be quick less than a second long then back to normal..... I didn't bother hooking up the 4th tv. The equipment I was using is as follows: (in order I connected)
1 smart TV 44inch ONN using the Roku app to stream
1 TV 32" with a Roku Express connected to the HDMI, and was also plugged into the USB Port for Power
1 Smart TV 24" ONN using the Roku App to stream.

I had the TRavelFi fully charged , and was at camp for about 3 hours the TravelFI is still at about 75% charge, maybe a little bit less. While I was testing the unit I also had my phone connected to the TravelFi ....Today was a bit of a rainy cloudy day, my phone only had 2 bars service...... I honestly was impressed with how it worked and performed.... granted I didn't have another unit to compare it to, but I now understand why TravelFi has so much confidence in their product that it included a moneyback guarantee. Plus it does not need to be connected to the RV to work, it is 100% portable...... A bit surprising that the least expensive unit I found has that much confidence in their products.... but hay sometimes spending more money is just simply spending more money...

I hope this helps other people like me trying to make a decision on what to purchase.
Glad to hear this worked out for you. Do you have any idea how many GB's were consumed in your test & which carrier you connected to?
As I read the information on their website, I get the impression the device has built in logic to connect to the carrier with the strongest signal. Would you say I am interpreting what's on the web site correctly?
On the surface, pricing for data seems to be a little steep. However, if the device actually accesses the carrier with the strongest signal & you don't have to worry about plans from multiple carriers, if could offer some advantages to other solutions.
Thanks for taking the time to provide feed back on your experience.

Glad to hear this worked out for you. Do you have any idea how many GB's were consumed in your test & which carrier you connected to?
As I read the information on their website, I get the impression the device has built in logic to connect to the carrier with the strongest signal. Would you say I am interpreting what's on the web site correctly?
On the surface, pricing for data seems to be a little steep. However, if the device actually accesses the carrier with the strongest signal & you don't have to worry about plans from multiple carriers, if could offer some advantages to other solutions.
Thanks for taking the time to provide feed back on your experience.
The TravelFi does not have a SIM card so yes it grabs the strongest signal. I had a stronger signal on the unit than I had on My Cell which is Verizon.... I was told (using an easy explanation) that MOST of the time the provider owns the SIM, and that is why they are provider specific. I know someone will have something to say about my explanation, but that is just an easy rule of thumb explanation for MOST circumstances.

I intentionally streamed at STD deff and NOT HD, but in all I used just under 5GB on the three TV`s and my Cell.

Feel Free to ask any other questions. and ill do my best to answer them.

Also... the service Tech at my local dealer is trying to get a GW1000 to run the exact same test (for his reference) with me again, but he is not hopeful that is Manager will let him take a unit of the shelf and use it since it will be difficult to re-sell the unit after its opened, If one gets returned he will grab it..... it will be interesting to see if connecting it to the AIR 360 has an impact on its signal strength and speed. If that happens we will need to bring my camper, yesterday we just went with my truck, a popup and generator. ( obviously the TV`s too)

Latest resources

Back