• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Mileage When Towing-DS 4081

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We did 30,000 miles In our DS 4018 towing our Colorado and I used 7.0 for mileage calculations. We were slightly over that but not enough of a difference to calculate, I like whole numbers.

We did 30,000 miles In our DS 4018 towing our Colorado and I used 7.0 for mileage calculations. We were slightly over that but not enough of a difference to calculate, I like whole numbers.
I’m with you. When we stop for fuel, I look at the miles driven from last fill and divide by 7. This always gives me pretty accurate # of gallons I will need to fill so that I can slow the flow down and listen thus avoiding splash back from overfill. Sorry to jump off the topic a bit....just reiterating the 7mpg #.

Thank you all for the feedback! We will use 7 MPG as the number to be safe. We were getting about that in the Canyon Star driving around GA, FL NC, and all around the Midwest. He was hoping for a better number in a DP. You all are the best!!

We get high sevens to eight if the cruise is set on 65. Seventy MPH sucks the fuel. Just remember the days you are not traveling you will have the cost of camping. They offset each other somewhat depending on how much you drive every day.

We have a 2021 DS 4081 with 3k miles now and tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 door and get around 7 mpg

We are looking at a DS 4081 for our FT home.

Not sure if the model matters, however, DH is working on his budgeting of the FT lifestyle and really wants to get it down to the Nth degree. He estimated 8 MPG on the 4081 towing a Jeep Wrangler, 2-door. Can anyone give me some numbers that might be more real world? We would keep it at 65 MPH and below on the highway. We anticipate loading it up about 75% of full weight. We are determined not to be crushed with stuff we don’t use etc. (Not sure if the weight affects the MPG..)

Really appreciate all the advice and help you all have put out here. TY! Hope to meet you all on the road in the next year!!
We have a 2018 4052 DS so wright should be similar to a 4081. I have tracked mileage and fuel usage since new and accounting for generator usage we have averaged 6.6 after 20K miles.

I am researching which Newmar will be best for us. We are currently in a 5th wheel. The mileage of the Newmar will not affect our decision.

I am surprised at the numbers though.

Our current rig is a Mobile Suite, 41ft. Tow vehicle is a Ford F450.
The MS is a heavy rig and 13.5 ft tall. We keep our speed around 65.

Last years trip was from Michigan to Southwest, up to Northwest and home.

9.6mpg for total trip. That does include solo driving of the 450 though.
A typical day of towing is about 9mpg.

Not starting a debate of MH vs. 5th wheel.

I am glad to know what to expect.

Mike

We average a little over 7. We have a 4318 and a F150.

Latest resources

Back